Wednesday, March 31, 2010

For the children

Easter, like Christmas is all about children. This is the time for teaching our children about the significance of the most important holiday in the liturgical calendar. It's also a time to see the world through their eyes: to gaze in wonder at nature as it awakens from winter, to rejoice in the simple moments that only pass our way once.

This morning, I made a quick stop at the local elementary school. The children were out in the schoolyard as I pulled up, completing their morning recess break. As I made my way through the halls, more and more of the children who were coming back into the school greeted me warmly and happily. Only after I was almost all the way to the office did they begin to pay attention to the load that was being carried in my arms. True, they will not get to share in the spoils of this treasure until tomorrow, but nonetheless, all it takes to keep the attention of children is a box of chocolate, and since there were three boxes (of mini eggs), I guess I succeeded in capturing at least some of their hearts.

Confided to the care of the principal and staff, these treasures will be shared with the students prior to their departure tomorrow. In keeping with the wisdom I've managed to acquire, I suggested that they distribute the candy just prior to dismissal, thus not having to deal with the pent up energy that comes from consuming excess amounts of sugar. Was I right?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Saving souls with chocolate... Now there's a religion I could embrace!

Happy Easter!