Wednesday, September 21, 2011

First in a series

As part of my activities last week, I visited with staff at both Saint David's elementary school and St. Francis.  Schedules for visits with students were worked out then, and this week they have begun.

This morning, I appeared at St. David's shortly before the children were ushered into their classes.  The plan (for now) is that I will visit with one class each Wednesday morning.  Saint David's is located in an area of the city which is among the lowest in per-capita income, so for a number of years, the local parish (Holy Trinity) offered a breakfast program for the children, however the breakfast program was moved last year into the school.

Early morning visits with students therefore allow me to help with the daily routine of providing breakfast for the students in one class each time I visit.  I'll then have a few moments to chat with them before they continue with structured learning.


Today, I began these visits, with the Grade 1 class.  Thanks to Ms. Cimino and the rest of the staff, it was a most enjoyable occasion for all of us.  Some of these children are still getting used to the new routine: it's only been about two weeks since they started school, but already they're becoming more and more familiar with one another and with the structure of the classroom.

Next week, on to another class, and another adventure.

No comments: