Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Just waiting

For what shall we give thanks?  This is the phrase I've added to the blog (at least the editing page) as a reminder to myself every time I get to this stage that I must find something for which to express my gratitude.

Today, I found myself in a hospital setting, sitting with some loved ones, waiting for a chimo treatment to be administered.  Admittedly, since we arrived at the hospital shortly before 8:00 am, it was a bit unnerving to say the least to find ourselves still waiting at 10:30.  By that point, the preliminary tests had been completed, but the treatment hadn't yet begun.  Then again, a quick glance around, and knowing that everyone else in the room was facing the same questions: a desease that can have as many permutations and combinations as crowds have faces; the stark reality that for some of these, there is no cure, only management techniques ... pretty serious stuff which is much more life changing than just a few hours of imposed waiting.

When all was said and done, the treatment in question was indeed administered, the patient slept and the bystanders waited.  As we left the building, I couldn't help thinking that I was truly thankful for having had this opportunity: to sit quietly, to read, to spend time with loved ones, and to just 'be' there.

No comments: