Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Poetry in process

My regular visit to the school today took me into a classroom of really clever people.  As it turns out, once the morning routines were completed, the students began work on the composition of their very own limericks.  Yesterday, they had begun to study the structure of such poems, and today they were invited to try their own hands at this special art.  Poetry is not always as easy as it first appears.  When it works, it can stir the heart, but when it doesn't it lands harder than the proberbial lead baloon.

Since at least one of the students in this particular class seemed to remember that on one of my previous visits, I had invited them to help me compose a blog post for these pages, and asked whether they would be writing another one today, I thought that I'd consider giving them some encouragement within these pages.

Here's my take on writing a limerick based on my experience today:

I visited a class more than seven
made up of young men and women
Limericks they wrote
on paper for note
For a moment I thought 'we're in heaven'.

 Anyone else want to try?  Post your limerick in the comment box.

No comments: