Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Puzzles

How to keep the interest of a group of 11- and 12-year-olds.  Answer, introduce them to the world of riddles.


This morning, I met with a class of children who were barely awake, but it didn't take long for them to open their eyes when I began to scribble on the blackboard:
My partner and I can make beautiful music
Together we can be the life of the party
Laughter and tears can both result
Entertainment composed of notes and phrases are our art
Together there are infinite possibilities
But without my partner, I stand silently alone.
What am I?
It took a bit of figuring for my new friends to find a suitable response, but finally they uncovered the object of my quest.  In this case, 'I' am a piano.

Interest peaked, we next turned our attention to composing a riddle of our very own.  I proposed another object for our attention, and then together, the students suggested lines for our riddle.  When we were satisfied, we tested the riddle by inviting two or three of the students from a neighbouring class to read through the riddle and to offer their suggestions for the answer.

The trick with these works of art is that they appear at first to be simple, but each one of the lines forming part of the clue must be understood in relation to all the others in order to solve the puzzle.  It's the source of great fun for all.  I can only imagine what fun the students will have as they continue to dream of the possibilities that lie ahead.  Perhaps on my next visit I'll discover new and even more tempting offerings.

No comments: