Sunday, September 9, 2012

First for Peter and Elizabeth


Back to the very beginning, or not
Students in our schools returned to their habitual routines this past week.  On the streets, the famous yellow school buses are back; in the streets, drivers are paying a bit more attention (we hope) to children and teenagers who are making their way to and from classes.  Even the university and college campuses are brimming these days with returning students and first-timers alike.

  • Listen to this homily (podcast coming soon)

Parishioners who have been away at their cottages, or traveling with their families for the past number of weeks might also find themselves walking into our churches after being absent for a short or a long while, and perhaps there are still some who are surprised to see priests who they have never met before.  Over these past couple of months, there were four sets of appointments issued by the Bishop for clergy in all parts of our diocese, and I believe that there is still at least one more sheet of appointments forthcoming.  In all, twenty-two (22) priests throughout our diocese have received new appointments over the summer, and we’re still waiting to see who will be assigned to the parishes in Manitouwadge, White River and the Pic Mobert First Nation.

Parishioners at St. Elizabeth’s parish in Temagami and at St. Peter the Apostle in North Bay bid farewell to Father Peter Moher last weekend.  This weekend, he stands in the sanctuary of Holy Redeemer parish in Sudbury.  While he was bidding farewell here last weekend, I was saying goodbye to the parishioners of Christ the King (including both the Beech Street and Burton Avenue locations).  This weekend, I am here, and I’m sure that while there are some familiar faces, there are many who are wondering who I am.

My name is Father Anthony Man-Son-Hing (or Father Tony for those like you who know me).  I was born in Georgetown, Guyana: located on the north-eastern tip of South America.  When I was eight years old, my family immigrated to Canada, and we soon found ourselves in Sault Ste. Marie, where we lived for the next ten years or so.  Having completed elementary and high school education in Sault Ste. Marie, I spent four years at Wilfrid Laurier University in Waterloo where I completed the Bachelor of Arts degree and then entered St. Augustine’s Seminary in Scarborough where I spent the next five years discerning a call to priesthood.  Ordained at the Pro-Cathedral of the Assumption in 1993, I have served as Associate Pastor at the Pro-Cathedral (1993-1995), Administrator of Our Lady of Lourdes, Manitouwadge (1995), Pastor of Immaculate Conception, Massey, St. Francis of Assisi, Walford, and St. Lawrence the Martyr, Webbwood (1995-1997), Ste-Croix and St-Ignace, SSM (1997-2000), and Christ the King, Sudbury (2006-2012).  I have also had the privilege to serve at the Apostolic Nunciature in Ottawa (2000-2002) and as Chancellor and Secretary to the Bishop of this diocese (2002-2006).

En 1997, j’ai vécu une période d’immersion intensive en la paroisse St-Félix à Cap-Rouge, en banlieue de la ville de Québec, et cela en guise de préparation pour servir la communauté francophone de la ville de Sault Ste-Marie.  Nell’anno 2000 fino al 2002, ho lavorato nella Nunziatura Apostolica in Canada dove ho imperato anche la lingua italiana.

It is perhaps fitting that as so many priests begin new chapters in our service to the people of God, the prophet Isaiah speaks of God’s presence among us.  This loving presence has the power to open even the eyes of the blind, to open the ears of the deaf, to cure the lame and to free the tongues of the speechless.  As I read these words, and the further references contained in today’s gospel passage, I couldn’t help thinking that the rite of Ephphetha (‘May the Lord soon touch your ears to hear his word, and your mouth to proclaim it’) is repeated even today, as part of the Ritual of Baptism for children.  It is true that pastors are sent into particular parishes in order that we might share the ministry of the Bishop, but please don’t think for a moment that I have the power to restore speech or hearing: only God can do such miracles.  Instead, I am here among you to live as one like you: to make your joys my joys; your sorrows and sufferings my sorrows and sufferings; to share the gift of my faith with you, and to learn from the blessing of your faith too.  Please pray that I may be able to do so faithfully, adhering as best I can to the faith of Jesus Christ who has called us to journey together.

Ever since the news of my appointment was published, back in mid-July, I’ve heard nothing but praise for the people of these two parishes.  I can’t wait to live the next days, weeks, months and years with you in faith.

No comments: