Sunday, September 2, 2012

The curtain falls


Last for the King
It`s sometimes hard to believe that six years have gone by since I arrived in this parish to take up the position of pastor.  On that first weekend, and for a few weekends following, I wore a monastic alb complete with a cowl (a kind of hood that is sewn on the back and meant to keep the head warm during winter months).  With the chasuble worn over this alb though, I was told that the cowl made me look like Dracula.  I didn`t want to scare anyone away, so I retired that alb and have used others since.

During the initial weeks of my presence here in this parish, I spoke of my dream to live among you, to be present in times of need, and to do what I could to help as many as possible to come closer to Jesus.  In the words of the first reading we have listened to today, I suppose you might say that my hope was then, and is now that others would look to this parish and say: surely these great people have a god who is near to them.  Over these past six years, I have come to believe this about those who gather here, but first we had to get to know one another: you had to get to know a bit about me, and I had to get to know a bit about you.

The process of coming to know people begins with outward appearances, hence the initial reactions to the priest who looked like Dracula, but Jesus calls us always to go deeper, to look beyond the surface and to dare to befriend the person.  This is why he always challenged the Pharisees and scribes to look beyond the outward appearances and observances, and to truly understand that faith is a matter of the heart.

Discovering faith in the hearts of the people who gather, and fostering the gifts of each one who is part of the parish; this is the job of the pastor who is asked to walk in faith with those who gather.  During my time among you, I have tried to do this by praying with you, by calling some to serve on various committees, and by encouraging as many as possible to lend their talents and gifts to continue the long tradition of building this parish which was begun by Father ?? when the doors of this church were first opened, and which has been continued by each of the pastors and Associate pastors who have had the privilege to serve in this parish since.

It is thanks to the dedication and commitment of countless individuals that I will remember the years I spent here at Christ the King as having been characterized by the love, devotion and faith of God’s people who call this place of worship home.  Your generous acts of giving have truly borne fruit in a long tradition of service to the people of this city.  Among these generous acts, we have together witnessed the establishment of the Beech Street Community Kitchen, which welcomes young mothers who are income insecure and gives them a place where they can begin to trust, and to believe in themselves. 

I will always remember and pray for the young street kids who have come to cook with us, bringing with them their own particular brand of vim and vigour.  A few weeks ago,  I was walking by the tracks on Elm Street and two of the youth who have worked in our program came running up to me: Hi Father, they said, how are you.  Not so long ago, these youth would probably have passed me by, they may have wondered to themselves about who I am; they may even have conjured thoughts and opinions about who or what I represent, but now these youth and some of their friends have learned to see the Church not as something to be feared, but rather as a place where they got back on their feet, and I’m humbled to think that together we have played even a small part in that miracle.

Every day of my life, but particularly at times in my life when I am asked to accept a new appointment, I am reminded that the work and ministry of priests is not our own.  It is part of a plan that is much larger than any of us.  When all is said and done, it is God who calls, and we who must answer.  It is God`s work that we participate in when we celebrate the baptisms of infants who are brought to the church, or of adults who have discerned the call to worship and pray in the gathered assembly with us.  It is God`s call that we answer when we help young people to prepare well for the celebration of Reconciliation, Eucharist and Confirmation.  It is in Christ`s name that we are present to couples who ask us to witness their weddings, and it is in Jesus’ name that we are privileged to stand at the bedside of those who are anointed with oil as we pray them into eternity.  Finally, it is an act of faith that we observe when we gather to celebrate the funeral of a loved one, to give thanks for the ways in which he or she has contributed to the life of our parish, but most of all to celebrate the fulfilment of a promise first made on the day of our baptism: that we will all one day know the fullness of life and love in the presence of our God.

When the last Mass is complete tomorrow (today), we will begin a new chapter.  My journey will take me to the parishes of Saint Peter and Saint Elizabeth.  Next weekend, Bishop Plouffe will be here to install Father Brian Dixon as the 16th pastor of this parish, and to formally introduce Father Brendan Doherty who will also live and work among you.  Thank you dear friends for the great privilege of walking with you in faith over these past six years or so.  Continue to pray for us priests, and pray too for our young people, that they may listen for God’s call and generously answer it.

No comments: