Monday, June 8, 2015

A message for the pilgrims

As he has done in years past, Pope Francis wanted to send a message to participants in the Macerata-Loreto Walking Pilgrimage, who were gathered on Saturday evening, June 6 in the Helvia Recina Stadium in Macerata for the opening Eucharistic Celebration, presided over by Cardinal George Pell.

This year, the Holy Father's message was recorded ahead of time and sent to the Bishop of Macerata, since the Pope would be occupied with the Apostolic Journey to Sarajevo.


Transcription of the video message
prepared by His Holiness, Pope Francis
and shared with the participants in the 37th pilgrimage

Caressed by mercy

Dear brothers and sisters, good evening!

It is a pleasure for me to speak a few words with you during this 37th Macerata-Loreto walking pilgrimage.  I have done the same thing for the past two years and I am very happy to see your strength, your faith and your love for Jesus Christ.  The other day in the General Audience, I blessed the torch which some of you had brought there.

I want to tell you that I am close to you, that I am united with you on your pilgrimage!

A pilgrimage is a symbol of life, it makes us think about life as a journey, it is a journey.  If a person doesn't set out on the journey, but remains standing still, that's no good, he or she won't do anything.  Think about water, when water is not in a river, it isn't moving, it stands still and eventually it gets stagnant.  A soul that does not journey through life doing good, doing the many things that we should do for the good of society, to help others and even to seek out God and know the movement that the Holy Spirit effects from within, is a soul that will end up in mediocrity and spiritual misery.  Please, don't close yourselves off from living life!

It can happen: we have all fallen at some point in life, made mistakes; but if you've made a mistake, get up right away and continue along the way.  Sing and walk, said Saint Augustine to his followers; walk with joy and continue walking even when your heart is sad, always continue walking.  If you need to stop, to rest a little, catch your breath and then carry on.  Sing and walk!  Always sing and walk!  There is also a danger of taking the wrong road.  Those who are not accustomed to walking will more likely take the wrong road; this can happen to every one of us; how often have we done this?  If you find yourself on the wrong road, turn.  Turn, because Jesus is always merciful.

You are undertaking this pilgrimage caressed by mercy.  God's mercy forgives everything, it always awaits you, it is always so loving.  Every one of you is aware of your own history.  We all know our own past.  Hey, Father, I have fallen so many times.  A beautiful mountain song comes to mind: the art of climbing is not about falling, but about getting up again.  Sing and walk and if you've fallen, get up: the caress of Jesus' mercy forgives everything and replaces it with joy, the joy of encountering Jesus.

During this long evening outing, during this night of walking, think about your life.  What should I do with my life?  What is Jesus telling me to do with my life?  What does the Lord have in mind for me?  Is there joy in my heart, so I can sing while I walk?  If there is no joy, look for it!  The Lord will give it to you, he will give it to you in the form of his mercy.

Dear brothers and sisters, set out on the journey; I am thinking about you.  Tonight, I am praying for you, I am spiritually accompanying you from Sarajevo to Rome, because tonight I will be returning to Rome.  I will be with you, and please pray for me.  May the Lord bless you and may Our Lady keep you.  May your Guardian Angels guide you and whisper in your ears: Sing and walk!

No comments: