Thursday, April 15, 2010

In the background

Tonight, there were a variety of activities to choose from.

Some of those who gathered were involved in looking back and looking forward: back to the experience we had with children of the parish who recently celebrated the Sacrament of Reconciliation for the first time; and forward to the plans being put in place for preparations of those who will receive the Eucharist for the first time this year.

In another part of the complex, there was a long-awaited meeting of the beancounters: the ones who oversee the finaicial decisions of a ship like this one. We are all glad to know that these people are around, sharing their gifts and talents in an effort to help us not overshoot our sights while we tend to the physical needs of this place of worship. The meeting began on time (almost) and continued for about an hour and a half.

In yet another part of the building, not far from the location where I was, there was a concert going on. Some of the faculty of music from the local Community College had asked to use our worship space for their year-end concert: a kind of final exam for the students who have been studying music for the past number of months. As it turns out the concert was made up of sacred music, quite fitting for the worship space in which they were playing.

As it worked out, some of us who were involved in a variety of meetings were also serenaded, thanks to the students who had gathered for the concerty. Without even realizing it, they gave us a chance to be caressed by the sacred (in words as well as in music).

Blessings appear sometimes in places and at times that are least expected. Are you aware of the ways you are caressed with such joy each day? Do you realize these moments of blessing when they happen?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

On the same day as this post I had an experience with the power of music. My morning was off to a slow start and while I was speaking to my wife via www.skype.com she said: "You sound different." I felt different, I felt distant. We agreed that I should just get some breakfast here at the hotel and call back in a bit. When I got to the restaurent they were playing my favorite songs, Mr. Jones by the Counting Crows...it's a far cry from the music described in the blog yet it had the power to put a smile on my face that I was able to use to great other people in the restaurent. I share this with a friend later in the day and he told me he was learning Mr. Jones as part of his music course! Thanks for the reminder of this experience.