Saturday, April 17, 2010

In the wind

All of life is a gift given by the One from whom all things originate. Some unfortunates have no concept of this divine giver, and yet others have varying concepts about who or what this source might be, but when mere mortals are in touch with this divine presence, things just seem to be right. In some traditions, these 'things' are referred to as Nirvana, or good Karma, or heaven.

The truth though is that some of us have a much more persnonal name for this divine presence. We call 'it' God ... but even the name God conjures a being that is far off, who is all powerful and therefore is far away from mere mortals, but then again, there is Jesus, the Son of God who became one of us, who lived as one of us, who continues to inspire us.

Each day is another opportunity to be in contact with the Risen Jesus. We do it when we look into the eyes of the wondering (and sometimes the wandering) child. We do it when we listen compassionately to the sufferings and woes of too many of our brothers and sisters. We do it when we visit the imprisoned and the sick, those who are hospitalized, those who are addicted, those who are lost in a quagmire of choices with little or no guidance to help them make the right choices. We do this when we endeavor to be compassionate, welcoming and loving to all those who are on the same path of exploration and discovery.

Christ is not like the wind, something we feel but cannot see. He is among us, waiting for us to find him, to celebrate him, and to grow in love for him.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would appear the padre has blown away with the wind.... we haven't heard from him since he posted this... !

Anonymous said...

Aha : Gone with the wind. ( Remember the movie?)
And what does Rhett say to Scarlett at the end ?
????????


(Ha, ha,..just having fun, Father Tony.)

Anonymous said...

"Frankly my dear, I don't give a ..."

Which is not the case, here, of course!

Bethany said...

In this surprising absence of wisdom and gratitude from our beloved friend and pastor, perhaps we should be challenged to fill in this void with our own expressions of appreciation.
I, for one, am grateful for the blessings of support and encouragement from the many people I meet each day. In return, I am encouraged to find the little ways that I can 'be there' for others: a helping hand, a shoulder to cry on, ears to listen or words that offer hope. The circle continues with gratitude for those hands, shoulders, ears and words, each gifts from our creator so that I can offer support and encouragement to others.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful sentiment, Bethany. However, does anybody know if Father Tony is ok? His absence from this blog is starting to worry me...

Anonymous said...

Do you ever think, he may be just testing us to see where we are at?
We see him in church with smiles and he says Mass devotedly.
He seems to be his own self,- true- blue, just like you know Who.

Father Tony, Beloved One,
Do you see how many hearts you have won?
We love your brilliant mind.
One would have to be deaf and blind
Not to see
How deep your feelings are for all out there-
And me.
You have such a beautiful soul
And my goal
Is to convince you again
To pick up your pen.
And write with delight
Of Love and Light.

Anonymous said...

I am delighted to read that he is doing well...

As for testing us... that's not his style... At least, I don't think so.

I am reassured that he is ok - that's all that matters...although I do miss his words of "Love and Light", as you so aptly put it.

Bethany said...

From our comments I would assume it safe to acknowledge that we are grateful for our kind pastor's willingness to share with us his "Love and Light". Can we express this gratitude in our relationships with others by reflecting 'love and light' to the world?
What else are you grateful for?

Anonymous said...

PLEASE START WRITING AGAIN. PLEASE.

Anonymous said...

I beleive that Jesus does help out the one that asks Him...

I ask Him again...to come into my life... take me as I am and make me as holy as you please... Let me be your clay and mold me to the perfection... I let you guide me so that I may be a model...

I let my heart "fall in LOVE" with Jesus... he is present... more present as before because of my openess to His Love and Grace...

one more day...

Anonymous said...

Nothing to be grateful for...???

Anonymous said...

I am grateful that Father Tony is doing well.... I am, however, bewildered by his silence...