Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Getting old?

Have you ever had one of those days where things just don't seem to go well?

Last night turned out to be one of those.  I had all great intentions of showing up (as promised) at one of the local parishes to help with the penitential service that was planned.  There was only one problem, I wasn't too sure which one of the local parishes it was.  I had indeed written all the details in my agenda, and normally this is enough, but on this particular occasion, I didn't have access to the electronic agenda that sometimes rules my life, and I had left my cell phone lying on the desk as well (right next to the computer upon which my agenda is logged).

Needless to say, I had to rely on my memory, which these days is not always such a good idea.  The result: I went racing off to the parish where I thought the gathering was scheduled, only to find the entire building in darkness.  Even as I returned to the car (yes, I'd even gotten out to go inside before resigning myself to the fact that I wasn't in the right place), I began to think about where it was that I needed to be.  To make a long story a bit shorter, by the time the wild goose chase was over, I'd visited three of the area parishes, finding all the buildings in relative darkness.  Having then to rely on the fact that Jesus was home but no one else was to be found in those places, I returned to my own abode, checked the electronic calendar, and discovered that I had indeed visited a bunch of places, but not the right one.

I wonder if other people have days like this.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh yes we do!