Saturday, December 11, 2010

Gone Home

The news arrived at the door this morning, because I was busy in the kitchen while my phone was in another part of the house.

Even after I'd spoken to his brother and wife, and heard the news from them myself, it still took a while to sink in.  The battle is over.  He's gone Home.  To be honest, I kind of knew that he wouldn't wait for a long time, and there wasn't much hope of him regaining his consciousness, so this moment had to come at some time.  Funny, no matter how well the brain knows this, when it happens there are always tears.

I know that he has been at peace for some time now (thanks to all the medication the doctors were administering to keep him from seisuring, he appeared to be sleeping), but life will not be easy for his wife, for their children who have lost their husband and father far too soon.

In the coming days, many will gather, and each will do a part to assist in whatever way we can.  All who knew him in this life need now to bid adieu, and to trust that somewhere in heaven, he is whole again, that he is celebrating his birthday with his papa, and that he is playing a wonderful tune.

No comments: