Sunday, August 10, 2014

Speaking with youth in Pisa

This morning at 11:00am local time, Pope Francis spoke - live by telephone - with about 30,000 Rovers and Scouts, members of the AGESCI who are gathered in Rossore (Pisa) for the conclusion of the Third National Route, organized under the theme: The Road of Courage ... directed to the future.  At the conclusion of the celebration of the Mass, which was presided over by Cardinal Angelo Bagnasco, President of the Italian Episcopal Conference, the Pope addressed his cordial greetings and words of encouragement to the young people.


I greet you all, very warmly.  And I am happy to see that you are gathered.  Sorry that I could not come, but I am close to you in prayer even from here, with much affection.  I hope that the roads to courage which are directed toward the future, will be a great blessing for you.  Take courage!  This is a virtue and an attitude which is proper for young people.  The world needs courageous young people, not timid ones.  We need young people who are willing to travel the roads, not young people who are focused only on themselves: with young people, if you are self absorbed, you can't make progress!  We need young people who are always looking ahead, not those who are already planning for retirement!  It's very sad!  It's sad to see young people who have no ambition.  No, young people must look to the future and be willing to courageously set out on the road.  Go on! This will be your victory, your work to help change this world, to make it a much better place.  I know that you have been reflecting on the Book of Revelation, thinking about the New City.  This is your challenge: to create a new city.  Never be afraid to work toward the building up of this new city: with the truth, goodness and beauty that you have received from the Lord.

Dear young people, dear young men and women, I greet you from here and I wish you all the best.  Do not be afraid, never allow yourselves to be robbed of hope.  This is your life!  It is yours to nurture, so that it may bear fruit for the good of all people.  Humanity is looking to us, and also to you to walk the road of courage.  Remember: retirement only happens when you're 65 years old!  A young person should never be retired, never!  You must go on, go on with courage.

I am praying for you; I ask the Lord to bless you.

I bless you in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.

And please, I ask you to pray for me too.

No comments: