Saturday, August 8, 2015

Meeting with the Eucharistic Youth Movement

At 11:00am today, in the Paul VI Hall, the Holy Father, Pope Francis received in audience, members of the Eucharistic Youth Movement.


Transcript of the dialogue between the Holy Father, Pope Francis
and members of the Eucharistic Youth Movement

Magat Diop (Italy, speaking in Italian)
My name is Magat.  I was born in Pescara of Senegalese parents.  I have not yet been baptized, but I have met the Lord in the eyes of my mother and my father who adopted me at the age of six months.

I thought that I had been abandoned because I was a girl.  As I grew up, I discovered that I had been placed into foster care so that I could have a better future.

Today is my birthday; I am 18 years old.  I have longed to see this day.  My baptism is drawing closer.  I am so happy.

The Eucharistic Youth Movement has been crucial (to me).  It has helped me a lot.  I feel that it is the place where what is important is not so much the things I have; it is the place where I have been able to live wonderful experiences and meet wonderful people.  I feel that the Eucharistic Youth Movement is my home; it helps me to feel as though a land, to which I still do not belong, is already mine.  The Eucharistic Youth Movement is my country!

Question:  The family is the place where we young people experience gratuitous love, but sometimes it is also the place where we experience strong tensions and fights between two generations that seem not to be able to meet one another.  What can we do, and what can our parents do, to be able to fully live as families in our time?

Gregorius (Indonesia, speaking in Indonesian)
My name is Gregorius, I am Indonesian, a student at Canisio High School in Jakarta.  I have also been an altar server in my parish since 2010.

The first time I arrived at my school, I met many good guys.  But I thought: is a diploma really the only thing that makes a young person a 'person'?  Later, I got involved in artistic and sporting activities; I even ran for student council.  This was a challenge for me.  The practices were so difficult that I felt like I would never make it.  When I was nominated, I was so scared by the responsibility that I made many mistakes.  Then, a teacher told me that as a young man, I shouldn't be afraid to explore, to be creative, and this gave me courage.

As an altar server in my parish, I learned that without motivation and without an interior call to serve, I could never be a good altar server, and that I am nothing without God.  This is what makes me special.

Question:  Indonesia is a country with many cultural, religious and ethnic differences.  Catholics are in the minority and because of the plurality, in addition to political prejudices, peace is always fragile.  What hope can the Holy Father offer to youth in such pluralistic and diverse surroundings?

Ana Carolina Santos Cruz (Brazil, speaking in Portuguese)
My name is Ana Carolina. I am 19 years old.  I am Brazilian, I was born in São Paulo.

Dear Pope Francis, I am very happy to be present here for this celebration of 100 years of history.  When I was 8 years old, I began participating in the Eucharistic Youth Movement, in the Parish of São Geraldo das Perdizes in São Paulo.  As young as 11 years old, I had already experienced some pastoral formation about belonging to the Church and being part of the Church, and about being able to say yes to the Sacred Heart of Jesus.  In 2013, because of some strong influences, I distanced myself from the church and from the Eucharistic Youth Movement.  At first, I felt a void because I had drawn away from the work of the Church, but Jesus came and opened many doors, one of which was an invitation to be the Archdiocesan Coordinator in São Paulo, and today I am here telling Your Holiness a little bit of my story.  I am very grateful for this opportunity and for all the people who are part of my life.

Question:  What was the greatest challenge or difficulty that the Pope has ever faced in your mission as a religious?

Pin Ju (Taiwan, speaking in Chinese)
My name is Pin Ju, from Taiwan.  I was born in a Catholic family.  I am very proud of my faith, even though Catholics only represent 1.3% of the total population.  As a member of the Eucharistic Youth Movement, I always think about what I can do for my faith.  When I was a university student, I organized a musical group to sing songs that young people liked.  Now, I work as a Marketing manager and I sing in a band.  More and more Taiwanese youth are becoming committed because more and more people are recognizing the love of Jesus.  Our band also seeks to share the beauty of God and his love with other people.  After a long period of concerted effort, our album will be published during this month of August.  WE also want to encourage people to find the right way to bear witness to the love of God.  Just do it.  In His love, all things are possible.

Question: After you became Pope, what was your greatest moment of joy?  Do you see signs of joy in the Church and in the world for this twenty-first century?

Louise Courant (France, speaking in French)
My name is Louise. I am 24 years old and I come from France.  A year ago, I began working at the Ministry of Culture and at the same time, I make a lot of music.  Music plays an important part in my life but it has also played an important part in history and in my faith.  Music helped me to discover the Eucharistic Youth Movement, though songs.  I led youth camps and then, three years ago, I integrated a MAGIS team.  The motto of the Eucharistic Youth Movement: a springboard for life, a path for life, sums up what I live today.  Jesus is present in my life as a pathway and I want to know him more and more.  The Eucharistic Youth Movement and MAGIS are very important to me because they help me to know that I am part of a community and I have been able to discover the importance of proof reflection, service and prayer.

Question: In the Gospel, Jesus says: You are my friends if you do what I command, but in a relationship of friendship should we also expect to know his presence in return?

Agustín Aschoff (Argentina, speaking in Spanish)
My name is Agustín Aschoff.  I live in villa Cura Brochero, Córdoba (Argentina).  It is a small place but with strong faith; we are looking forward to the speedy canonization of Blessed Cura Brochero.  in my family, there are 4 members.  My mother, Miriam Rosel; my father, Arturo Aschoff and my big brother Matias Aschoff.  I am in the fifth year of studies at the Christo Obrero Technical Institute and I have been participating in the Eucharistic Youth Movement for the past four years.  in the Eucharistic Youth Movement, I have learned to be a missionary.  I like to meet people and to share my faith with them.  Every time I go out on mission, I feel that I must allow my heart to draw closer to Jesus in order to draw closer to others.  For me, the Eucharistic Youth Movement is a lifestyle.  It has changed my life and helps me to pay attention to what God wants because He is always with me.

Question: Pope Francis, what would you say to young people to help them discover the depth of the Eucharist?


The Holy Father continued:
Thank you for your questions.
There are two words, at the beginning of the questions, which impressed me: words that are alive in daily life, either in society or in the family.  These words are tension and conflict.  Magat Diop spoke of tensions in family relationships, and Gregorius Hanzel spoke about conflicts.  Conflict.  But what do you think a society, a family, a group of friends would be without tensions and without conflicts?  Do you know what would happen?  We would have a cemetery, because the only place where there are no tensions or conflicts is among the dead.  Where there is life, there are tensions, there are conflicts; and for this reason we need to develop this concept and seek, in my life, to define the true tensions, how the true tensions are going, how they are being managed, for it is the tensions that help to confirm that I am alive.  Only in Paradise will there be no tensions!  There, we will all be united in peace with Jesus Christ.  Everyone has to identify the tensions in his or her own life.  Tensions help us to grow, to develop courage.  Young people need to have this virtue of courage!  Young people without courage are watered down youth, and an aged youth.  Sometimes, I have a chance to tell young people: Please, don't retire! … because there are young people who are collecting a pension at the age of twenty: they have everything worked out in life, everything is quiet and they have no tensions.

There are tensions in families, that's clear.  How can such tensions be resolved?  With dialogue.  When there is dialogue in a family, when there is an ability to spontaneously say what one is thinking, tensions often can be resolved well.  Aim higher, aim higher ... Don't be afraid of the tensions.  But we also need to be careful because if we love tensions for the sake of tensions, they will eventually hurt you and you will be conflicted youth in a negative sense, if someone loves to be in the midst of tensions.  No, this should not be.  Tensions can help us to take a step toward harmony, but harmony can also help tensions to become harmonious.

To say things clearly: first, don't be afraid of tensions, because they help us to grow; second, resolve tensions with dialogue, because dialogue unites - families and groups of friends - and helps us to find a common path to walk together without losing our own identities; third, don't become to attached to a particular tension because this will hurt you.  Is it clear?  Tensions help us to grow, tensions can be resolved with dialogue and being attentive not to become too attached to any particular tension, because in the end this will be destructive.  I said that a young person without tensions is a retired young person, a dead young person; but a youth who has only known a life of tensions is a sick young person.  This distinction is important.

Gregorius spoke of conflicts: conflict in a society such as Indonesia, where great internal diversity can be felt.  Social conflict.  Conflicts can also do good, for they help us to understand our differences, they help us understand how things are different and they can help us also to understand that if we cannot find a way to resolve our differences, we will live a lifetime of war.  In order to be dealt with effectively, a conflict must be aimed at unity, and in a society such as yours (he faces the young man who asked the question), which possesses a culture that contains various other cultures within it, must seek unity but with respect for individual identities.  When we look at TV or the newspapers, we see conflicts that are not resolved and end in wars: one culture that doesn’t tolerate another. We think of those Rohingja (refugees), brothers of ours: they were chased away from one country to another to another, and they went by sea ... When they arrive at a port or a beach, they are given some water and something to eat and are chased out to sea. This is an unresolved conflict, and this is war, this is called violence, it’s called killing. It’s true: if I have a conflict with you and I kill you, the conflict is finished, but this isn’t the way. If so many identities – whether they are cultural or religious – live together in a country, there will be conflicts, but there must be respect for the other’s identity. And with this respect the conflict is resolved. The tensions in the family, between friends – I said that to resolve them, dialogue is necessary; real social conflicts, also cultural ones, are resolved with dialogue, but first with respect for the other person’s identity. We are also seeing in the Middle East that so many people aren’t respected: the religious minorities, Christians, but not only them, are not respected: so often they are killed, persecuted. Why? -- because their identity isn’t respected.  In our history there have always been conflicts of religious identity, for example, which were manifested for not respecting the identity of the other person.

But this one isn’t a Catholic, he doesn’t believe in Jesus Christ ... Respect him. Look for what he has that is good. Look in his religion, in his culture, for the values he has. Respect. Thus the conflicts are resolved by respecting the identity of others. And the tensions – conflicts imply tensions – are resolved with dialogue. And I answer your question – from Indonesia – this way.

Pele’s fan (the Brazilian girl) asked this question: what was the greatest challenge or difficulty that Pope Francis faced in his mission as a Religious?

I would say: to always find peace in the Lord, that peace that only Jesus can give. In works, in tasks the challenge is to find that peace which means that the Lord accompanies one, that the Lord is close. And there’s another challenge: to be able to distinguish Jesus’ peace from another peace that isn’t Jesus’. Understood? And this is something that you must learn well, and ask the Lord for the grace to be able to discern true peace from false peace. To discern – this is a challenge. And true peace always comes from Jesus. Sometimes it is wrapped in a cross. However, it is Jesus who gives us peace in the midst of trial. It doesn’t always come as a cross, but true peace is always from Jesus. Instead, another peace, a superficial one, the peace that makes you content, that contents you somewhat but is superficial, comes from the enemy, from the devil, and it makes you content: I am content, I’m not concerned about this, I’m at peace ... However, inside, inside there is deceit! And here it’s necessary to ask for this grace, to be able to distinguish, to be able to know what is the peace of Jesus and what is the peace that comes from the enemy, which destroys one. The enemy always destroys: he makes us believe that this is the way and then, in the end, he leaves us alone. Because, remember this: the devil is a bad paymaster; he never pays well! He always cheats us; he is a cheater! He makes us see false things, and we think the thing is good, that it gives us peace, we go there and in the end we don’t find happiness. Always seek the peace of Jesus: this is a challenge, a challenge that I had, that I have and that you all have. And what is the sign of the peace of Jesus? How do we know that this peace is from Jesus? The sign is joy, profound joy. The devil never gives us joy. He gives us some amusement, engages in some circus, makes us happy for an instant, but he never gives us joy. That joy only Jesus can give by giving us the Holy Spirit. And the challenge for us all – me too – is to always seek the peace of Jesus, also in bad moments, but the peace of Jesus. And to be able to distinguish it from that other false peace, which in the end is a cheat: we end up badly and we aren't well paid. And Jesus is a good paymaster, he pays well, he pays very well!

Pin-Ju Lu asked me if I see real signs of joy in the Church, in the world for this 21st century. There are signs: this is one of them (he points to the young people present in the Hall). This is a sign of hope, to see young people like you who believe Jesus is in the Eucharist, who believe that love is stronger than hatred, that peace is stronger than war, that respect is stronger than conflict, that harmony is stronger than tensions ... This is hopeful; this gives me joy! And this gives hope because Pin-Ju Lu’s question was: What was the moment of greatest joy after having become Pope? – and then the signs of hope or positive signs in this world where there are so many wars. We are in a war: I repeat to myself so much that this is a Third World War in pieces. But we are at war, and this is negative. However, there are signs of hope and there are signs of joy.

And I would like to take up an expression that Magat Diop used at the beginning, a word from which I took the word tension: the family. Strong tensions and struggles between two generations. I would ask: which are the two generations? Tell me, which are they? I ask, why does one see that you are all silent. Are they those of parents and children? Are these the two generations? Yes, the tensions between father and mother and me: the fact that I want one thing because I think that life is like this, and they think of it another way ... But there is another generation. Why didn’t you speak of grandparents? Look, I will tell you something – but it isn’t a reprimand of you—grandparents are the great forgotten ones of this time. Now a bit less, here in Italy, because as there isn’t any work and they have a pension, see they remember the grandparents! But grandparents are the great forgotten ones. And grandparents are the memory of a family, the memory of the country, the memory of the faith, because they are the ones that give it to us – the grandparents. And I ask you this question: do you talk with your grandparents? (They answer: Yes!) Do you ask your grandparents: Grandfather, grandmother, how was that? How is this done? What did you do? Do it, do it! Because grandparents are a source of wisdom, because they have the memory of life, the memory of the faith, the memory of the tensions, the memory of the conflicts ... And grandparents are good! I like to speak with grandparents so much. I will tell you an anecdote. The other day, in the Square, in one of the Wednesday Audiences, I was going around in the popemobile and I saw a little grandmother there, elderly: I could see she was elderly! – but she had eyes shining with joy. And I had the popemobile stop and I got down. And I went over to greet her. And she was smiling. Tell me, grandmother, how old are you? 92! Ah good, great! Joyous! But can you give me the recipe for how to arrive at 92 so? And she said to me: You know, I eat ravioli! And then she added: And I make them myself! But this is an anecdote to tell you that to meet grandparents is always a surprise. Grandparents always surprise us: they know how to listen; they have patience! ...We are speaking of three generations, of at least three. And when grandparents live at home they also help so much to resolve tensions, which are normal in a family. Don’t forget grandparents. Understood?

Louise:
Jesus says in the Gospel: You are my friends if you do what I command you. But in this relationship of friendship, must we also expect a manifestation of his presence in return?

Friendship always takes two: I am your friend and you are my friend. And Jesus manifests himself always – I’ve spoken of this – in his peace. If we draw close to Jesus he gives us peace, he gives us joy. And when we meets Jesus in prayer, in good works, in tasks that help others – there are so many ways to find Jesus – we feel peace and also joy. This is his manifestation, Louise. It’s like this. Jesus manifests himself in turn. But we must seek him be it in prayer, be it in the Eucharist, in daily life, in the responsibility of our tasks and also in going to find the neediest and helping them: Jesus is there! And he will make us feel it. Sometimes we will feel what is proper only to an encounter with Jesus; amazement. Amazement to encounter Jesus, to encounter Jesus: please don’t forget this word – to encounter Jesus!

Let us think of that day (cf John 1:35-42): it could have been ten o’clock in the morning. Jesus was passing by and John and Andrew were with John the Baptist, chatting there about so many things. And John the Baptist said: Behold, the Lamb of God! And, curious, they went after Jesus, to seek him. It’s curiosity... And Jesus pretends he doesn’t know and turns to them and says: What do you seek? Where are you staying? Come and see! (verses 38-39). And the Gospel says they stayed with Jesus the whole day.

But what happened afterwards? Andrew went in haste to his brother Simon: he was full of joy, a great joy; he was full of amazement for having met Jesus, and said: We have found the Messiah! (Jn 1:41). And John did the same with James. It’s like this. The encounter with Jesus gives us this amazement. It’s his presence. Then he goes, but he leaves us peace and joy. Never forget this: amazement, peace, joy; it’s Jesus. This is the exchange.

And now Maradona (the Argentine boy)
Pope Francis what would you say to young people so that they discover the profundity of the Eucharist?

It always helps to think of the Last Supper, and that word that Jesus said when he gave the bread and wine, his Body and his Blood: Do this in memory of me. The memory of Jesus present there; the memory of Jesus that, in every Mass, is there, and he saves us there! - the memory of that gesture of Jesus, who afterwards went to the Garden of Olives to begin his Passion. The memory of such great love he who gave his life for me! Each one of us can say this.

The grace of memory, of which I spoke when I talked about grandparents, the grace of memory: the memory of what Jesus did. It’s not just a ritual, it’s not a ceremony. There are very beautiful ceremonies, military ceremonies, cultural ... no, no. It’s something else: it’s to go there, to Calvary, where Jesus gave his life for me. Each one should say this. And with this memory, seeing Jesus, receiving the Body and Blood of Jesus, one reflects deeply on the mystery of the Eucharist. Oh Father, when I go to Mass I’m bored ... Because it isn’t a ritual. Remember this, if you want to deepen your reflection on the mystery of the Eucharist. This is a good verb, because Paul says it to one of his favorite disciples – I don’t remember if it was to Titus or Timothy, but to one of the two, who were two Bishops whom he had made Bishops. Remember Jesus Christ (cf 2 Timothy 2:8). Remember Jesus Christ, when I am at Mass there, he who is giving his life for me. And thus we deepens our reflection on the Mystery. And then, when you don’t go to Mass, but go to pray before the Tabernacle, remember that He is there, and that He gave his life for you. Memory. It was the command that Jesus gave his own people: Do this in memory of me. That is, every time you do this celebration, remember me; every time you go to pray before the Tabernacle, remember this. And don’t forget what Saint Paul said to his disciple, also a Bishop: Remember Jesus Christ!

Thus we end our dialogue of today. I thank you. I had the questions written, but I didn’t read them. What I’ve said came from the heart, as it came at the moment.

And think of these words: tension-dialogue; conflict-respect-dialogue; exchange of the presence of Jesus-friendship with Jesus: peace and joy; encounter with Jesus: amazement, joy, peace; deepen reflection on the Eucharist: memory of what Jesus did, and thus you will continue to grow in your faith. The world has so many awful things, we are at war, but there are also so many beautiful and good things, and so many hidden saints in the People of God. God is present. God is present and there are so many, so many motives for hope to carry on: take courage and continue on your way!

Before giving the blessing we can ask help from Our Lady. Because when children begin to walk they look for their mother’s hand not to go the wrong way. And we must go on the way of life by the hand of our mother. Let us pray to Our Lady, each one in his own language.

Hail Mary ... (Blessing)

And please, please, I ask you: don’t forget to pray for me.

No comments: