Saturday, August 25, 2018

Aboard the flight to Ireland

Aboard the plane this morning en route from Rome to Dublin, the Holy Father took time - as he usually does - to greet the representatives of the media who are accompanying him on this papal voyage.

The meeting began with a few words of welcome from the Director of the Holy See Press Centre, Greg Burke; then the Pope spoke briefly with the journalists.


Greetings of the Holy Father, Pope Francis
to journalists

Greg Burke
Director of the Holy See Press Centre
Good morning, Holy Father, and thank you for this greeting.   This is a short but intense journey: a small country but a very important country, which has had a lot of influence on the world, both in the Church and in the world.  We have 70 journalists here, some have come from Ireland, some Irish live in Rome and are taking this trip with us.  And I must say that there is much anticipation about this trip.

Would you like to say something?

Pope Francis
Good morning, and thank you for your company, thank you for coming along.  This will be my second Festival of the Families: the first one was in Philadelphia, this is the second one.  And I am happy to be with families, I am happy to be making this trip.  There is another motive that touches my heart: I am returning to Ireland after almost 38 years, the place where I spent about three months in order to practice my English, in 1980.  This is a wonderful memory for me.  Thank you for your work.  Now, I want to meet each of you ... 

No comments: