Saturday, August 25, 2018

Travelling to Dublin

This morning, His Holiness, Pope Francis began his 24th International Apostolic Voyage: to Ireland.

The aircraft carrying the Holy Father (an Alitalia A320) departed from Rome's Fumicino International Airport at 8:30am local time (2:30am EDT).  It arrived at the Dublin International Airport at 10:25am local time (5:25am EDT).


At the moment when he departed from Italian airspace en route toward Ireland, the Holy Father, Pope Francis sent the following telegram to the President of the Republic of Italy.

To His Excellency
The Honourable Sergio Mattarella
President of the Italian Republic
Palazzo del Quirinale
00187 Rome

I am pleased to send you, Mister President, a respectful greeting at the moment when I am departing from Rome en route toward Ireland on the occasion of the World Meeting of Families and, while invoking copious gifts of long-life and wisdom upon the Italian nation so that we may all continue to appreciate and to care for the values of matrimony and family, I extend to you and to your collaborators my fervent wishes for ongoing commitment to the service of the Italian people and I also impart my blessings to all of you.

Francis


During the flight which began this morning and carried His Holiness from Rome to Ireland, while passing over Switzerland, France, and the United Kingdom, the Holy Father sent the following telegrams to the respective Heads of State.

While flying over Switzerland
His Excellency, Alain Berset
President of the Swiss Confederation
Bern

I extend cordial greetings to Your Excellency and the people of Switzerland as I fly over your country on my way to Ireland.  Invoking the blessing of Almighty God upon the nation, I pray that He may grant you peace and well-being.

Francis

While flying over France
His Excellency, Emmanuel Macron
President of the French Republic
Paris

I offer best wishes and the assurance of my prayers as my journey to Ireland takes me over France.  I willingly invoke upon you and your fellow citizens the blessings of joy and peace.

Francis

While flying over the United Kingdom
Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II
Buckingham Palace
London

I extend cordial greetings to Your Majesty, the members of the Royal Family and the people of the United Kingdom as I fly over British airspace on my way to Ireland.  I willingly invoke upon all of you the abundant blessings of Almighty God.

Francis

No comments: