Saturday, March 5, 2011

Change in schedule

I normally devote Saturday mornings to the crafting of my homily: the reflection that is offered every week in an effort to bring the scriptures alive, but every now and then, life throws a few curves, reasons to alter the schedule just a bit.

The prospect was that some friends had arrived in town last night, and we did get a chance to spend some time together then, but even better was the possibility that we could spend more time together this morning, before they would have to leave. In order to make this a possiblity though, I would have to write my reflection in the pre-dawn hours.

We finally crawled into our respective rooms on the shy side of midnight, and then it struck me: if I took some time right then (writing in the mid-night hours), then I'd have even more time to devote to hospitality and friendship. Now usually writing at that time of night is not a possibiity, not in the least, but somehow I discovered a second (or was that a third) wind, and it was just after 1:00 am when I finally put my electronic quill away and headed off into horizontal meditation.

But it was worth the effort. Even though I was still groggy when I surfaced this morning, I was happy to know that the necessary preparations were all in place and the result was that I could make breakfast, and even spend some time touring through a couple of shopping experiences (really a rarity on a Saturday) before they had to leave for home.

No comments: