Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Nothing we do

I don't know about you, but I find that I'm often battling the temptation to believe that I have to earn my way into heaven.  Perhaps one of the greatest gifts we could ever receive is a comprehension of the truth that Jesus came to speak:  that we don't have to do anything in order to merit heaven, because he's already done it for us.

The exerpt from the book of Isaiah that was proclaimed in our churches today told us (even) though your sins be like scarlet, they can become white as snow.  I suppose I'm comforted by the thought that there is nothing I can do to merit God's goodness, but that love is a free gift already offered.  All I have to do is accept it.

In fact, Jesus' words to the crowds in the gospel today tell them (and us) that if we start out thinking that we have to earn heaven, we'll more than likely end up no better than the Pharisees who were chastised for being externally pure but internally hollow.  Instead, it's much easier for us to be thankful for the fact that Jesus can use us as his instruments, and teach us some valuable lessons about humility along the way too.

Wow, lessons today about gifts freely given, about forgiveness and about humility.  What more could we ask for?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Needed to hear this. Thanks.