Wednesday, December 28, 2011

My first tea party

She grabbed my hand and joyfully but somewhat insistantly urged me to follow her.  The destination: her kitchen.  The purpose: I was being invited to a kitchen party.  Apparently I was the only guest on the list.  What a wonderful privilege.

First, she boiled some water, and before I knew it, the tea was brewed, poured into cups and mixed with just the right amount of sugar and milk.  While I was sipping on my tea, my hostess began working on the next course.  No, there were no cookies at this party.  On the menu were boiled eggs, crispy bacon strips and toast.

The salt and pepper seemed to be flying through the air, but in truth the artist in this kitchen was demonstrating her proficiency with the world of spices.  It was a most delicious meal, but most of all, I enjoyed spending time with my special hostess.  She seems right at home in her kitchen.  She seems to know where everything is: the vegetables, the dairy products, the canned goods, and even the spices.  She has no problem at all manouvering the stove, the pots, the pans and even the utensils.

The meal complete, and both of us sufficiently satiated from hunger, the next order of business was the discovery of the art room, including the animals who might some day stand as models for this young budding artist. Ah, and don't forget the visit to the music room, where treasures like the snare drum and the maracas: perfect for the beginner percussionist.

It seemed that I was just getting familiar with these new surroundings, when the party came to an abrupt end.  The next adventure had already begun.  As soon as I catch up to it, I'll be only too happy to recount it.  In the meanwhile, for a few moments spent in such a happy place, thanks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Treasure that moment. Few get to appreciate it. A nice warm fuzzy...