Saturday, February 23, 2013

South Africa, 4

Billie speaks - January 20, 2013

There's fresh meat on the Kuantu reserve today.  The strangers arrived in three of those toyota land cruisers, accompanied by three of the locals (of the two legged human variety).

They didn't see me when they first entered the gates, but I saw them.  Standing above the promontory, I see everything that goes on.  The humans think that Zulu (the male lion who lives in this park) is the king, but truth be told I'm the one who enjoys that privilege.

They were greeted by the springbok and the zebra.  Even the wildabeast, the mircat, the giraffe and the ostrich waved hello.  They roamed by every watering hole; they even tried to sir the hippo into action.  It's a good thing he's ready to defend his territory if need be; we all are, and the humans know that.  This home of ours is an ecological place too.  All the permanent residents will do our best to smile for their cameras - besides, the vast majority of these gawkers will probably never be back.

Springbok, otherwise known as McDonalds antelope
Mircat 


They eventually got to meet Zulu.  He's always on the prowl.  Even if he's recently eaten, he's always ready for more.


We do want them to take our story home with them though.  We want them to ell their friends about our friends the rhino, who are on the verge of extinction.  We want them to spread the news that the cheetah, the fastest moving cat on earth is also not far behind unless more and more of them (the humans) do something about it.  Why is it so difficult for humans to understand the fragile balalce of nature?  They're supposed to be so smart.

The humans came looking for me too today.  I left them a trail and led them along the path.  I wonder if they heard the part about never driving over my spore; my body digests lots of greenery but it also expells the thorns and other material - things that could do serious damage to the tires on those vehicles.  I wonder if they know how many thousands of dung beatles they can kill with the tires on those vehicles they drive.


When the time was right, I peeked out from behind the bushes.  A few weeks ago I probably would have bellowed at them because I was in heat and they would have been intruding on my territory, but today I just wanted to say hello.

Cheetah at rest
Bengal tiger cooling off from the African sun

The humans also visited the rehab and re-integration part of the park, where the cheetah and the Benghal tigers can be found.  I think they also met the white lion pride and the male lion cub pride.  It won't be long now until Zulu is ready to retire.  I'm sure one or two of the young adolescents will want to take over but I'm not sure that would be such a smart idea.  We'll see about that.

Reports are that some of the humans also came out on another safari after dark.  Some of the animals in this kingdom are nocturnal so a safari at night is the only way that those poor humans would be able to see them.  Starring in the after-dinner show tonight was the hippo who finally made his way out of the water and was spotted running, or rather bounding across the plain.  Many other smaller animals were present too, including the African kangaroo, but all the humans would have seen were their eyes reflecting the light cast from their vehicle.  Those poor humans need so much help to appreciate the night life around here!

No comments: