Tuesday, June 11, 2013

The gift of illumination

Having learned of a group of about 75 blind persons, most of them elderly, who are spending their summer holidays at Le Torri, a Centre specializing in rehabilitation studies and vacations, organized by the Italian Union of the Blind and the Visually Impaired, the Holy Father, Pope Francis sent an audio message to the participants, and to all those who are visually impaired.



Audio Message prepared by the Holy Father, Pope Francis
for the Italian Union of the Blind and the Visually Impaired

Dear friends,

I greet you affectionately.  I know that you are gathered in Tirenia for a period of holidays, and that some of you wanted to come to Rome.  Thanks to modern technology, I can come to you!  I thank you for your appreciation, fo your affection and above all for your prayers.

The Gospel tells us that Jesus paid particular attention to the blind.  He healed many of them, as well as many who were sick.  But the healing of the visually impaired has a special symbolic significance: it represents the gift of faith.  It is a sign that concerns us all, because we all need the light of faith in order to walk in the way of life.  For this reason, Baptism, which is the first Sacrament of life, was once also referred to as illumination.

I ask the Lord to renew within each one of you the gift of faith, because in your hearts there is always the light of God, the light of love, which makes sense of our life, illuminates it, gives it hope, and makes us good and open to the needs of others.

I also wish all the best for your association, the Italian Union of the Blind and Visually Impaired.  Always spread the culture of encounter, of solidarity, of welcome, especially of the disabled, not only seeking the just social benefits, but favouring their active participation in society.


I entrust you all to the protection of Blessed Mary, our Mother.  I ask you to pray for me and for my service to the Church, and I willingly bless you, together with all your loved ones.

No comments: