Saturday, May 24, 2014

The second voyage begins

His Holiness, Pope Francis began his second international trip this morning, travelling as a pilgrim to the Holy Land to mark the 50th anniversary of the meeting which took place in Jerusalem between Pope Paul VI and Patriarch Atenagora.

The aircraft carrying the Holy Father (an Alitalia A321) departed from the Rome-Fumicino airport at 8:15am local time this morning and arrived at Queen Alia International Airport in Aman, Jordan at 1:00pm local time (12:00 noon in Rome).

According to the established diplomatic custom, at the moment when the Holy Father left Italian soil, and as he crossed Greek, Cyprian and Israeli airspace, telegrams were dispatched.


To His Excellency, the Honorable Giorgio Napolitano
President of the Republic of Italy
Quirinale Palace
00187 Rome

As I begin my pilgrimage in the Holy Land, fifty years after the historic voyage of Venerable Paul VI, in order to pray for justice and peace and in order to encourage ecumenical and inter-religious dialogue, I wish to express to you, Mister President, and to the Italian people, my cordial greetings, which are accompanied by sincere wishes for the spiritual and social betterment of our beloved Italy.

Francis


His Excellency, Karolos Papoulias
President of the Helenic Republic
Athens

I send cordial greetings to Your Excellency and to your fellow citizens as I fly over your country at the beginning of my pilgrimage to the Holy Land.  I pray to Almighty God, that he may guide your efforts in favor of an ever more just and peaceful society.  Upon the Greek people, I invoke the Lord's abundant blessings.

Francis


His Excellency, NIcos Anastasiades
President of the Republic of Cyprus
Nicosia

I extend warm greetings to you and the citizens of Cyprus as I journey over your country on my pilgrimage to the Holy Land.  I invoke upon the entire nation the Lord's blessings of joy and peace.

Francis


His Excellency, Shimon Peres
President of the State of Israel
Tel Aviv

As I begin my pilgrimage to the Holy Land, I send cordial and good wishes to you and all the people of Isreal.  I look forward to meeting with you and to visiting the Holy Land.  I willingly invoke upon you and your fellow citizens Almighty God's abundant blessings.

Francis

No comments: