Monday, May 19, 2014

With the Bishops from Mexico

At 12:30pm today in the Sala Clementina at the Vatican Apostolic Palace, the Holy Father, Pope Francis received in audience the Bishops from the Episcopal Conference of Mexico who are completing their visit ad limina Apostolorum.

The Holy Father spoke a few short words of introduction to them, which are printed below, and then presented them with a printed copy of the prepared speech, leaving them to read it at a later date.


Greetings of the Holy Father, Pope Francis
shared with Bishops from Mexico

I wish to thank you for your visit.  I thank the President of your Conference, Cardinal Robles.  The speech that I prepared, I will pass on to you now, to each of you, in writing.  That way, I will be able to greet you one by one as you requested.  Thank you for your support.  I have learned a lot from what you have shared with me.  You have shared with me some serious concerns about your local Churches: some of them are suffering greatly as a result of the problems that Cardinal Robles mentioned.  They are serious problems.  However, I see that your Church is established on very solid foundations, and your ties to the Mother of the Lord are also strong ... This is very important!  It is very important!  Mary will never leave you alone to face so many problems, so much suffering ... starting with her children who are crossing borders, all the problems of migration, those who never arrive at their destinations ... There are children who are dying, children who are killed at the hands of hired assassins.  These are all very serious problems!  Then there are drugs, which are the cause of so much serious suffering.  When a farmer says to you: What do you want me to do?  If I grow corn, I will live for a month; if instead I grow opium, I will live the whole year!  You must always be united with your people!  The only recommendation I can offer, and this is sincere - and the prepared speech is also heartfelt, but this is even more from the heart - a double transcendence.  The first transcendence is that of prayer to the Lord: don't forget to pray.  The negotiations between the Bishops and God for the sake of your people.  Don't forget!  And the second transcendence, stay close to your people.  With these two things, you will do well!  With these two intentions, you will do much good!  Please pray also for me, and know that I pray also for you.  Thank you very much.

No comments: