Friday, September 18, 2015

A video message to the faithful in Cuba

Last evening in Cuba, a video message which was recorded by the Holy Father in preparation for his Apostolic Visit which will take place from September 19 to 22, was broadcast in that country.


Video message recorded by His Holiness, Pope Francis
for the people of Cuba

Dear brothers and sisters!

There are just a few days left before my trip to Cuba.  On this occasion, I want to send you a greeting before we meet in person.  I am coming to visit in order to share with you the gifts of faith and hope, so that we can strengthen one another as we follow Jesus.  It does me much good and helps me greatly to think of your faithfulness to the Lord, about the spirit in which you face everyday difficulties, loving those who help and support you on the journey of life.  Thank you for this most valuable witness.

I want to send you a message that is very simple, but one that is important and necessary.  Jesus loves you very much, Jesus really loves you.  He always carries you in his heart; He knows better than anyone else what we all need, what we yearn for, our deepest desires, the condition of our hearts; and He never abandons us, even when we don't behave as he expected.  He is always ready to welcome us, to comfort us, to give us new hope, another chance, new life.  He will never abandon us, he is always there for us.

I know that you are preparing for this visit with prayer.  Thank you very much.  We need to pray.  We need prayer - contact with Jesus and with Mary.  It gives me great joy to know that following the advice of my brother bishops in Cuba, the words of the prayer we all learned as children are repeated many times: Sacred Heart of Jesus, make my heart like yours.  It's good to have a heart like Jesus, to know and love him, to forgive, to hope, to walk together.

I want to spend some time among you as a missionary of the mercy and the tenderness of God, but I also want to encourage you to be missionaries of the infinite love of God.  May no one lack for the witness of our faith, our love.  May all the world know that God will always forgive, that God will always be by our side, that God loves us.

I will also visit the Shrine of the Virgin of Cobre as a pilgrim, as a child who is looking forward to visiting its mother's house.  To Her, I entrust this voyage, as well as all Cubans.  Please, I ask you to pray for me.  May Jesus bless you and may the Holy Virgin watch over you.  Thank you.

No comments: