Monday, September 28, 2015

The flight home

During the flight which began last night in Philadelphia and travelled to Rome, at the moment when he left the airspace above the United States, and while he passed over Canada, France before arriving in Italy this morning, the Holy Father sent the following messages:


United States of America
Departure - September 27

The Honorable Barack H. Obama
President of the United States of America
Washington

As I depart the United States for my return flight to Rome, I wish to express my deep appreciation to you and your fellow citizens for your gracious welcome and to renew the assurance of my prayers fo the good of all the American people.

Francis



Canada
September 27

His Excellency, the Right Honourable David Johnston
Governor-General of Canada
Ottawa

As my flight carries me over Canada on my return to Rome, I extend my best wishes to Your Excellency and your fellow citizens, with prayers for the nation. I invoke upon you the divine blessings of peace and prosperity.

Francis


France
September 28

His Excellency, François Hollande
President of the French Republic
Paris

I renew my best wishes to Your Excellency and your fellow citizens as I fly over France on my return from Cuba and the United States, and I assure you of my prayers for the French people.

Francis


Italy
Arrival - September 28

His Excellency, the Honourable Sergio Mattarella
President of the Republic of Italy
Palazzo del Quirinale
00187  Rome

Returning from my pastoral voyage to Cuba and to the United States, I express my heartfelt greetings to you, Mister President, and to the beloved Italian people, along with a special prayer to God for the good and the progress of the entire nation.

Francis



The aircraft carrying the Holy Father back from his Apostolic voyage to Cuba and to the United States landed at Rome's Ciampino airport at 9:58am local time, following an 8-hour flight.

Before returning to the Vatican, the Pope went, as is his custom, to the Basilica of Saint Mary Major to thank Mary, the Salus Populi romani for his safe return from the Apostolic voyage to Cuba, the United States, his visit to the United Nations and his participation in the World Meeting of Families.

No comments: