Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Malmö to Rome

During his flight from Malmö (Sweden) to Rome, which passed over Germany and Austria en route to Italy, the Holy Father, Pope Francis sent the following telegrams to the respective Heads of State of those countries:


While flying over Germany

His Excellency, Joachim Gauck
Federal President of the Federal Republic of Germany
Berlin

As I return from my pastoral visit to Sweden, I wish to renew to Your Excellency and your fellow citizens the assurance of my prayers and best withes for Germany and all its people.

Franciscus

While flying over Austria

Her Excellency, Doris Bures
President of the National Council
of the Republic of Austria
Vienna

I renew my best wishes to Your Excellency and your fellow citizens as I fly over Austria on my return from Sweden, and I assure you of my prayers for the Austrian people.

Franciscus

At the moment when he re-entered Italian airspace

His Excellency
The Honourable Sergio Mattarella
President of the Italian Republic
Palazzo del Quirinale
00187 Rome

Returning from my Apostolic voyage to Sweden, where I have had the opportunity to encourage ecumenical dialogue, the persistence of the Catholic faithful and the common commitment of Christians in service to the gospel, I express to you, Mister President, my best wishes and I assure you of a special prayer for the good and the prosperity of the Italian nation over which I invoke celestial blessings.

Franciscus

The aircraft carrying the Holy Father arrived at Rome's Ciampino international airport at 3:10pm local time.  Pope Francis then went, as he usually does, to the Basilica of Saint Mary Major to thank the Virgin Mary, Salus Populi romani for the successful outcome of his trip.

No comments: