Monday, November 14, 2016

Meeting the German national football team

Shortly before 9:00am today, in the Clementine Hall within the Vatican Apostolic Palace, the Holy Father, Pope Francis received in audience the national football (soccer) team from Germany - Deutsche Fußballnationalmannschaft).


Greetings of the Holy Father, Pope Francis
addressed to the German national football team

Dear ladies and gentlemen,

I am pleased to greet the current champions of the football world here in the Vatican.  I thank your President, Mister Grindel for his courteous words.

I have sometimes heard it said that your victories are team victories.  For this reason, La Mannschaft has become a common definition of your group.  In fact, competitive sports requires not only much discipline and personal sacrifice, but also respect for others and team spirit.  This leads you to success as Mannschaft and at the same time helps you o recognize your responsibility beyond the sports field, above all toward youth who at times look to you as their heroes.  It also leads you to commit yourselves to common social objectives.  In this respect, I am particularly grateful for your support of Sternsinger, the Star Singers, which provides concrete assistance to children and youth in poor countries.  This initiative shows how we can together overcome barriers that seem to be insurmountable and that penalize people who are marginalized and in need.  Also, in this way, you contribute to building a more just and united society.

I thank you for your visit and I wish you well in your sports and social activities.  I ask you to please pray for me, and with all my heart, I bless each one of you and your families.

No comments: