Wednesday, February 29, 2012

When the little ones pray

My visit to the neighbourhood school took me to a Senior Kindergarten class this morning.  As it turns out there was also a meeting in progress at the time for all primary teachers, so together with the supply who was on site, I was pressed into service.  The first order of business was breakfast, so after every child had received something to eat, the next challenge was to make sure that they actually ate!

Breakfast complete (or almost complete) it was then time for the opening exercises.  These children have become accustomed to the playing of the National Anthem, during which they stand and join in singing the words, and then recitation of the Lord's Prayer.

As it happens, this morning I was standing close enough to some of the little ones to hear their rendition of the sacred words, somewhat altered from the adult version, and always worth the effort for our adult brains to hear:

Our fathuh
You are in heaven
Hollow is the name.

The kingdom come
the will be gone
on earth as it is in heaven.

Give us this day some bread
and give us our (not sure whether this word was spoken or slurred)
as we forgive those who (see above) among us.

And lead us not into heaven
but deliver us from evil.  Amen!

Was it just my imagination, or was this last word spoken with more gusto than all the rest combined.  Needless to say, I had to stifle a few smiles, but after my visit, I left with a renewed spirit, and a deepened sense of wonder for the talents of teachers and others who form these little ones every day.

No comments: