Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Death of a Jesuit Cardinal

This morning, His Eminence, Karl Joseph Cardinal Becker, SJ, died.  Having received this news, the Holy Father, Pope Francis sent the following telegram earlier today to the Postulator General of the Society of Jesus, Reverend Father Adolfo Nicolás Pachón, SJ.


Telegram of Condolence
sent by the Holy Father, Pope Francis

Reverend Father Adolfo Nicolás Pachón
Postulator General of the Society of Jesus
Borgo Santo Spirito, 4
00193 Rome

The news of the pious departure of the Venerated Cardinal Karl Joseph Becker arouses affectionate memories within my soul and I wish to express my deepest condolences to you and to the entire Society of Jesus, while recalling with profound gratitude the devoted and exemplary service exercised for many years by the deceased Cardinal in the domain of teaching; the formation of new generations, especially of priests; theological research and service to the Holy See.

I offer fervent prayers to the Lord, that through the intercession of the Holy Virgin and of Saint Ignatius Loyola, the deceased Cardinal will be welcomed into the eternity promised to His faithful disciples, and with all my heart, I impart upon you and upon all those who knew him and appreciated his gifts of mind and heart, the comfort of my Apostolic Blessing.

Franciscus

No comments: