Saturday, July 9, 2016

Condolences to Florence

The Holy Father has sent a telegram of condolence marking the death of the former Archbishop of Florence (Italy), His Eminence, Silvano Cardinal Piovanelli, which occurred during the night.


Condolences of the Holy Father, Pope Francis
for the death of His Eminence, Silvano Cardinal Piovanelli

To His Eminence, the Most Reverend
Giuseppe Cardinal Betori
Archbishop of Florence
Archbishop's Residence - Piazza San Giovanni, 3
50123 Florence

I am saddened to have learned the news of the death of Cardinal Silvano Piovanelli, following a long illness, lived with a serene soul and trusting abandon to the will of the Lord.  I wish to express to you, to the entire Diocesan community of Florence and to the family members of the late Cardinal my profound sharing in your suffering.

I think with affection of this dear brother in the episcopate, who served the gospel with joy and wisdom, and tenaciously loved the Church, recalling with gratitude the intense and prodigious pastoral work which he carried out, first as a priest and then as Auxiliary Bishop and then as a wise and careful guide of that Archdiocese.

I raise fervent prayers to the Lord that, through the intercession of Saint John the Baptist and the Blessed Virgin Mary, He may welcome his faithful servant, teacher and shepherd into the heavenly Jerusalem, and with all my heart, I impart to you, to the beloved Florentine Church and to all those who have known and esteemed Cardinal Piovanelli, my Apostolic Blessing.

Franciscus

No comments: