Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Words about a Cardinal

This morning, while the funeral Mass was taking place in Saint Michael's Cathedral for Aloysius Cardinal Ambrozic, I penned a note of condolence addressed to His Excellency, John Boissonneau, Auxiliary of Toronto.  A number of years ago, while I was a seminarian, then Archbishop Ambrozic succeeded Emmett Cardinal Carter as Archbishop of Toronto, and (then) Father John Boissonneau was Vice-Rector of the seminary where I was completing studies in preparation for priesthood.

His Excellency, John Anthony Boissonneau


As it turns out, one of the priests with whom I live now completed his Theological studies at the same time as the late Cardinal did (Cardinal Ambrozic, that is).  We have shared a number of stories about the man who was then in the same shoes that I was when he took the reigns of the largest English-speaking diocese in Canada.

Here then is the text of the letter I sent this morning:

Your Excellency,

I learned last Friday the news that Cardinal Ambrozic had completed his earthly journey, and over these past days, I have united my prayer with you and with all those who mourn his passing.  These days have also been filled with thanksgiving as I remember the years I spent in preparation for priesthood, especially at St. Augustine’s, and the occasions we had to greet His Eminence during his annual visits.

One of the elderly priests of our diocese, Father James Myles Sharpe, was a classmate of Cardinal Ambrozic’s, and was ordained also in 1955.  He recounts many stories of the times he too shared with His Eminence during the past years.  He joins me in expressing condolences to you and to all who mourn his passing.

I will offer Mass for the repose of his soul at noon today, and pray as well in thanksgiving for his life and service, and for the gift of God’s peace for all those who look forward to the day when we shall see him again in the Kingdom.

Rev. Anthony Man-Son-Hing

No comments: