Monday, January 20, 2014

With the security guards

Today at noon in the Sala Clementina at the Vatican Apostolic Palace, His Holiness, Pope Francis met with the Directors, staff and agents of the Vatican Public Security Inspectorate and presented them with his New Year's greetings.


Address of His Holiness, Pope Francis
for the meeting with the Vatican Public Security Personnel

Chief of Police,
Illustrious gentlemen,
Dear staff and agents,

I welcome you and warmly greet each of you, and I ask you also to extend this welcome to all your family members and those who are dear to you.  I wish to thank the Director General for the courteous greetings which he offered to me in the name of those who are present and of all those who are part of the Vatican's Public Security Inspectorate.  This traditional meeting, my first, permits me an occasion to express my gratitude for your service, especially that which you exercise in Saint Peter's Square: in the cold, in the heat, in the rain, in the wind, always ... It is very much appreciated!  We are all aware of the necessity that this special place should always be protected, in order to preserve the special character of this sacred and universal place.  This is why we need to ensure discreet but attentive supervision at all times.  In fact, for the most part, people in Saint Peter's Square are serene.  They move about quietly, and enjoy a sense of peace.  And this is also thanks to you who oversee the maintenance of public order.

I am also mindful of your efforts during times when there are more of the faithful gathered, those who come from all over the world to meet the Pope, to pray near to the tomb of Saint Peter and those of his successors, especially those of John XXIII and of John Paul II.

Your work requires technical and professional training, combined with careful supervision exercised with kindness and dedication.  The pilgrims and tourists, as well as those who work in the various offices of the Holy See know that they can always count on your courteous assistance.

I wish to thank you especially for your effective work during the days leading up to the conclave which followed the resignation of Pope Benedict.  At this encounter today, I wish to renew my deep gratitude, as well as that of my collaborators, to all those who throughout those moments offered their assistance, because it all took place in an orderly and quiet fashion.

I would hope that the time spent in service at the Vatican is also an opportunity for each of you to grow in faith.  Faith is the most precious treasure that has been entrusted to you by your families, and that you in turn are called to pass on to your children.  It is important that you rediscover the message of the gospel, and accept it deep within your consciousness, that you make it part of your daily lives by witnessing to the love of God with courage in every environment, even in the world of work.

I entrust you all to the Virgin Mary, that as a caring mother, she may protect each of you, your families and your work.  I ask you please to pray for me - I need your prayers - and I willingly bless you.

No comments: