Friday, January 10, 2014

With the ushers

On the same day as he granted an audience those responsible for welcoming visitors, the Holy Father, Pope Francis also met with a second group of laymen who are responsible for assisting him personally.  They, along with their families were assembled in the Consistory Hall of the Vatican Apostolic Palace today at 12:15pm to meet with the Pope.


Greetings of His Holiness, Pope Francis
for the gathering with the Sediari Pontifici

I am pleased and very happy to welcome you for this exchange of greetings, together with your families.  We are beginning a new year and we are still in the time of Christmas, which will come to an end on Sunday when we celebrate the Baptism of the Lord.  The mystery of the birth of Jesus calls us throughout our lives to bear witness to humility, simplicity and a spirit of service which He has taught us.  In your daily work, you are able to imitate these characteristics of the Son of God, who came not to be served, but to serve (Mt 20:28).  Lived with this interior attitude, work can become an apostolate, a precious occasion for transmitting to those we meet, the joy of being Christians.  This is possible if we maintain an open dialogue with the Lord in prayer, in order to grow in his friendship and to learn from Him the disposition of welcome.

Over these past few months, I have noticed the ideals which motivate your work.  Your love for the Church and for the Holy See, your cordial welcome, your patience, your calm demeanour and the serenity with which you go about your duties all provide a beautiful experience for those who come to the Apostolic Palace to meet with the Pope.  For all of this, I wish to cordially thank you - really, thank you so very much! - I am indebted to you.  I thank you also for the tenderness with which you take the babies in order to present them to me during the public audiences.  I asked one of you: And you, how many children do you have? Because you know how to carry them, I can see it!

I wish you all the gift of peace and every good thing; I assure you all of my prayer for you, and I count on you to pray for me!  Thank you!

No comments: