Sunday, June 12, 2016

A phone call to the pilgrims

Last night, the Holy Father placed a telephone call to the participants taking part in the 38th Walking Pilgrimage in Macerata-Loreto.  The call took place after the completion of the opening Eucharistic celebration which was presided over by Cardinal Edoardo Menichelli, Archbishop of Ancona-Osimo.  It took place in the Helvia Recina Stadium in Macerata.


Transcription of the Holy Father's telephone call
to participants in the walking pilgrimage
at Macerata-Loreto (Italy)

Good evening, dear friends,

The bishop tells me that it's raining there.  But even rain is a grace.  It is terrible but it is also beautiful!  It has two aspects.  It is terrible because it bothers us but it is beautiful because it is like the God's grace that falls on us.  You are now beginning your pilgrimage; a pilgrimage that will last throughout the night.  But life too is a pilgrimage.  None of us knows how long our lives will last, but each of them is a journey.

And when someone believes that he or she is living life without being on a pilgrimage ... We cannot live life standing still.  Life is a pilgrimage, a chance to do something, to go on, to build friendships, a just society, to proclaim the good news of Jesus.

I am close to you tonight, you are in my prayers, I am accompanying you and I wish you a night of prayer and of joy.  Surely there will be a bit of suffering, but you will survive, with the hope of meeting Jesus tomorrow in the Eucharist.

I bless you!  Keep up the pilgrimage through life, never, never stop, always keep going.  Life is like that!

And pray also for me, that I too may never stop, and continue going forward on my journey ... the pilgrimage that the Lord asks me to make.

I give you my blessing, dear friends, and I wish you a night of pilgrimage, of prayer, of joy, of happiness and with your eyes gazing toward Our Lady and toward the Eucharist that you will celebrate tomorrow.

Now, all together, let us pray to Our Lady:  Hail Mary ...

I give you my blessing.  May Almighty God bless you, the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.  And please don't forget to pray for me.  I give you all a hug.

A hug, and pray for me.  Good night.

No comments: