Sunday, June 26, 2016

Departing from Armenia

Pope Francis' departure ceremony, at the end of his visit to Armenia, took place at the Zvartnots International Airport.

Upon his arrival at the airport, the Pope and the Catholicos were welcomed by the President of the Republic of Armenia, His Excellency, Serzh Sargsyan and his wife.

Following a private meeting which took place in the presidential terminal, the National Anthems were played and the members of the official delegations greeted one another.  Then Pope Francis boarded the Alitalia A321 which departed at 6:48pm local time (10:48am EDT) bound for Rome.



Immediately after the departure of the aircraft from the airport in Yerevan, Pope Francis sent the following telegram to the President of the Republic of Armenia:

His Excellency, Serzh Sargsyan
President of the Republic of Armenia
Yerevan

As I depart Armenia on my return flight to Rome, I express my deep gratitude to Your Excellency and the beloved Armenian people for your warm welcome and gracious hospitality during my stay.  Upon all of you, I invoke God's abundant blessings, as I renew my fervent prayers for peace and well being in Armenia.

Frnaciscus

No comments: