Thursday, June 21, 2018

Geneva to Rome

At 7:15pm this evening (1:15pm EDT), at the Geneva International Airport, there was a departure ceremony to mark the end of the Holy Father's one-day visit to Switzerland.  Present were the President of the Swiss Confederation, Mister Alain Berset; the Federal Counsellor, Ms. Doris Leuthard; and the Ambassador to the Holy See, His Excellency, Fux Pierre-Yves.

The aircraft - an Alitalia A321 - carrying the Pope back to Italy after his Ecumenical Pilgrimage departed from Geneva at 7:55pm.


Telegrams to Heads of State

As he left the territory of Switzerland and returned to Italy, the Holy Father sent the following messages to the respective Heads of State.

His Excellency, Alain Berset
President of the Swiss Confederation
Bern

As I leave Switzerland, I wish to express my deep gratitude to Your Excellency and your fellow citizens for your warm welcome and hospitality.  With the assurance of my prayers, I invoke upon the nation Almighty God's abundant blessings.

Francis


To His Excellency
The Honourable Sergio Mattarella
President of the Italian Republic
Palazzo del Quirinale 00187 Rome

Returning from my Apostolic Voyage to Geneva, where I had the joy of meeting the people and representatives of various Christian Churches committed to the journey of unity and peace, I express to you, Mister President, my good wishes and I offer a special prayer for the good and the prosperity of the entire Italian nation, upon which I invoke celestial benedictions.

Francis

The aircraft carrying the Holy Father on the return flight from Geneva on the occasion of the 70th anniversary of the foundation of the Ecumenical Council of Churches landed at Rome's Ciampino Airport at 9:12pm.

No comments: