Saturday, August 3, 2013

On the way home

During the return flight from Brazil, one hour after takeoff from Rio de Janeiro on Sunday evening, July 28, Pope Francis met with the journalists who were on board the aircraft and held an extended Press Conference.  Here is an English-language translation of the interview which lasted 90 minutes and was conducted in Italian and Spanish.



Press Conference aboard the return flight
from Rio de Janeiro to Rome

Father Lombardi: Dear friends, we have the joy of spending some time on this return flight, with the Holy Father, Pope Francis; he was kind enough to agree to spend some time with us in order to review the trip and to respond with total freedom to your questions.  I hand the microphone over to him for a little bit of an introduction, and then afterward we will begin with the list of those who signed up to speak.  We will take questions from the various nationalities and language groups.  So, to you, Your Holiness, a word of introduction.

Pope Francis: Good evening, and thank you very much.  I am very pleased.  This was a beautiful trip, spiritually, it was good for me.  I am tired enough, but my heart is joyful, and I am well: this was spiritually good for me.  It was good to find these people, because the Lord works in every one of us, He works in our hearts, and the good thing about God is that we can always receive so many beautiful things from others.  And this is good for me.  This is a first review.  I would also say that goodness, the heart of the Brazilian people is very large, it’s true: it is very large.  They are such loveable people, people who love a party, even in the midst of suffering , they always find a way to find something that is good.  And this is good: they are a happy people, yet they have suffered so!  The happiness of the Brazilians is contagious!  And they have such large hearts, this people.  I would say this of the organizers, both our own people and the Brazilians; but I would say that at some points, I felt as though I was standing in front of a computer, an incarnate computer … truly!  It was all timed, no?  But it was nice.  Then, we had some problems with the security plans: security problems here, security problems there; there were no reports of violence in all of Rio de Janeiro during these days, and everything was spontaneous.  With minimal security, I could be with the people, embrace them, greet them, without any armoured cars … it was the security of trusting in people.  It is true that there is always the danger of meeting a crazy person … yes, that there might be a sick person who might do something, but we also have the Lord with us!  Making space for a relationship between a bishop and his people is also a bit crazy, but I prefer this kind of craziness: outside, running the risk of meeting another crazy person.  I prefer this craziness: outside.  Closeness to one another is good for everyone.

The organization of World Youth Day, not the specifics, but in general: the artistic parts, the religious parts, the catechetical parts, the liturgical parts … were all beautiful!  They have an ability to express themselves in art.  Yesterday, for example, they did something beautiful, beautiful!  Then, Aparecida: Aparecida for me is a strong religious experience.  I remember the Fifth Conference.  I was there praying, praying.  I wanted to go there alone, a bit of narcissism but there was an impressive crowd!  It was not possible, I knew it before we arrived.  And we prayed.  I don’t know … one thing … but also on your part.  Your work was , I am told – I didn`t read the newspapers during these days, there wasn`t any time, I didn`t see any television, nothing -, but I am told that you did very good work, very good, very good!  Thank you, thank you for your assistance, thank you for having done this.  And then the number, the number of young people.  Today – I can`t believe it – but today the Governor was saying that there were three million.  I can’t believe it.  But on the other hand – this is true! – I don’t know if you, any of you were at the altar, at the altar, at the end, the whole beach was full, up to the bend; more than four kilometers.  So many young people!  Cardinal Tempesta told me that there were 178 countries represented, 178!  Even the Vice-President told me this number: that’s for sure.  It’s important!  Strong!

Father Lombardi: Thank you.  So, now we give the word first to Juan de Lara, who is from Efe, a Spaniard, and this is his last trip with us, so we are happy to give him this opportunity.

Juan de Lara: (in Spanish) Your Holiness, Good evening.  On behalf of all my colleagues, I wish to thank you for these days which we have enjoyed in Rio de Janeiro, for the work you have done, and for all the energy you have put into it.  And also, on behalf of all the Spanish-speaking journalists, I would like to thank you for your prayers and for your concern for all the victims of the train derailment in Santiago de Compostela.  Thank you very much.  This first question doesn’t have much to do with this voyage, but we welcome the opportunity that it affords us, and I want to ask you: Your Holiness, in these first four months of your Pontificate we have seen that you have created various Commissions aimed at reforming the Curia.  I wanted to ask you: What kind of reforms do you have in mind?  Are you considering the possibility of supressing the IOR?  Do you consider it the Vatican Bank?  Thank you.


Pope Francis: The steps that I have taken in these past four months have been motivated by two realities: as far as the content of what had to be done, everything comes from the General Congregations of the Cardinals (the meetings held prior to the Conclave).  These were things we had asked of the Cardinal who would become Pope; I remember that I asked many things, thinking that it would be another.  We asked him to do this, for example the Commission of eight Cardinals know that it is important to have outsider consulters, not the Consulters we already have in place, but outsiders.  This is true at all times – here I am speaking abstractly, thinking, but I do so for the sake of explanation – in the course of the maturation of the relationship between collegiality and primacy.  Therefore, these eight Cardinals foster collegiality, while helping the various Episcopal Conferences around the world to communicate with the same ecclesial government.  There are many proposals which were made, and which have not yet been put into practice, such as the reform of the Secretariat of the Synod; in questions of methodology, such as the Post-Synodal Commission, which should be a permanent and on-going consultation; consistories of Cardinals, with not so many formal issues such as canonization, and also other issues …  Well, the scope of the content comes from there.

The second reality provides us with an opportunity.  I must confess that I don’t think much about the costs involved.  In the first month of my Pontificate, the task was to organize the Commission of eight Cardinals, the first point.  The matters of economics I thought we would deal with next year, because I did not consider it to be the most important thing that we need to deal with. But the agenda has changed because of circumstances that you know already, since they are in the public domain; certain problems became apparent, and needed to be dealt with.  First was the problem of the IOR: questions about how to approach it, how to define it, how to reformulate it, how to clean up the things that need to be cleaned up, and here we involve the first Commission of reference, that is it’s name.  You know the chirograph, what matters motivated it, the things it involves.  We had the meeting of the Commission of 15 Cardinals who deal with the economic aspects of the Holy See.  They come from all corners of the world, and there, during that meeting, we realized the importance of forming a single Commission of reference for the entire question of economics within the Holy See.  That is, the matters of economics must be tackled independently of the agenda, but these things happen when someone gets into office and governs on one hand, but throws a ball with the other hand, and this should be controlled, should it not? Life is like that, but that’s the beauty of life.  I’m repeating the question that was posed to me about the IOR, sorry, I was speaking in Catalan.  Sorry, the response came to me in Catalan.

In response to the question that was posed about the IOR, I don’t know how the IOR will end up; some say that perhaps it would be better if it were a bank; others that it is an assistance fund, others that it should be closed.  But, if we listen to these voices, I don’t know.  I trust the work of the persons in the IOR, that they are working on it, and also those of the Commission.  The President of the IOR remains, the same as he was before; however the Director and the Vice-director tendered their resignations.  But this, I don’t know how it will all end, and this too is good, because it will be discovered, we are searching; we are human beings, in all this; we must find the best way.  The characteristics of the IOR – whether it is a bank or an assistance fund, whatever it is – there must be transparency and honesty.  This is the way it must be.  Thank you.

Father Lombardi: Thank you very much, Your Holiness.  Now we pass on to one of the representatives of the Italian group, and we have one who you know well: Andrea Tornielli who will ask a question on behalf of the Italian group.

Andrea Tornielli:  Holy Father, I have a question that is a bit indiscrete: the photograph of our departure from Rome made its way around the world – the one with you climbing the stairs of the aircraft, carrying the black hand bag, and articles from all parts of the world commented on this novelty, yes, of the Pope climbing the stairs … it shouldn’t have been like that, the Pope climbing the stairs with his baggage in hand.  There have been hypotheses about what was in that black bag.  So, my questions are: one, why did you carry that black bag and not leave it for one of your collaborators to carry; and two, if I may ask, what was in the bag?  Thank you.

Pope Francis:  It wasn’t the keys to the atomic bomb. I carried it because I have always done the same: when I travel, I carry it.  And inside, what was inside?  A razor, my breviary, the agenda, a book for me to read – I brought one about Saint Teresa, to whom I am devoted.  I have always carried that bag when I travel: it’s normal.  We have to be normal … I don’t know … it’s a bit strange for me, what you are saying, that the photo appeared all over the world.  We must become accustomed to being normal - the normality of life.  I don’t know Andrea, if I have answered your question …

Father Lombardi: Now, we give the microphone to one of the Portuguese, Aura Miguel, from Radio Renascença.

Aura Miguel: Your Holiness, I want to know why you ask so insistently that we pray for you?  It’s not normal, habitual, to hear a Pope asking us so many times to pray for him …

Pope Francis: I have always asked for this.  When I was a priest, I asked for it, but not so frequently; I began to ask for prayer more regularly when I was named a bishop, because I feel that if the Lord doesn’t help us with the work of helping the People of God, of going forward, we cannot do it … I truly feel that I have so many limits, so many problems, even sins – you know ! – and so I must ask for prayer.  But it comes from inside!  I even ask the Madonna to pray to the Lord for me.  It’s a habit, but it’s a sincere habit, and also a necessary habit to help me with my work.  I feel that I must ask … I don’t know, that’s how it is.

Father Lombardi: Now, we pass on to the English-speaking group, and I give the microphone to our colleague Pullella from Reuters who is here in front.
Philip Pullella: Your Holiness, thank you for being so accommodating, in the name of all the English-speaking journalists. Lara’s colleague has already asked the question that we wanted to pose, but perhaps we can continue along the same line: in your research involved in making these changes, I remember that you once said to a group of Latin Americans that there are so many saints working in the Vatican, but also others that are not so saintly, no?  Have you discovered any resistance to your desire to make these changes in the Vatican?  Has anyone resisted?  You live a very austere life, you have chosen to live at Santa Martha … Is it your wish that your collaborators, and even the Cardinals should follow your example and live in community, or is this just something personal, for yourself?

Pope Francis: The changes … these changes too come from two motivating factors: that which we Cardinals had asked for, and from my own personality.  You were speaking about me choosing to live at Santa Martha, but I could not live alone in the Palace, and it is not luxurious.  The Papal apartment is not so luxurious!  It’s big, it’s great, but it’s not luxurious, and I can’t live alone or with a small group of people.  I need people, I need to be with people, to speak with people … That’s why when the children from the Jesuit schools asked me: Why you? Because of austerity, or poverty? No, it was because of psychological reasons, simply because psychologically I can’t.  Everyone has to live his life, in his own way.  The Cardinals who work in the Curia don’t live in luxurious and sumptuous places: they live in small apartments, which are austere; they are austere.  The ones I know, the apartments that APSA gives to the Cardinals.  Then, it seems that there is something else that I want to add.  We all should live as the Lord asks us to live.  Austerity – austerity in general – it seems to me that this is necessary for all of us who work in the service of the Church.  There are so many degrees of austerity … everyone needs to find his or her way.  Compared to the saints, and it’s true that there are saints: cardinals, priests, bishops, sisters, laity; people who pray, people who work so hard, and who work with the poor, some even in secret.  I know of some people who are always concerned about feeding the poor, or who, when they have some free time, go to one church or another to do some kind of ministry … they are priests.  There are saints in the Curia, and there are also some who are not so saintly; these are the ones who make the most noise.  You know that a tree makes more noise in a forest when it falls than when it grows, and this pains me, when these things happen.  There are a few who cause scandal, a few.  We have this Monsignor who is in jail.  I believe he’s still going to jail, not because he resembled Blessed Imelda, not exactly, he wasn’t Blessed.  There are scandals that cause pain.  One more thing - I have never said this, but I haven’t really noticed – I believe that the Curia is a bit smaller than it once was, made up of old curial clerics … the profile of an old and faithful curia that did its work.  We need these people.  I believe there are some, but not as many as there once were.  The portrait of an old curia: I would put it this way.  We don’t need this.

Am I finding resistance?  Well, if there is resistance, I haven’t seen it yet.  It’s true that I haven’t done many things, but if I might say, I have found help, and I have found loyal people.  For example, I’m happy when someone says to me: I don’t agree, and I have encountered this.  But I don’t understand, I don’t agree.  I say, you do it.  This is a true collaborator, and this I have discovered in the Curia, and this is good. But when there is someone who says: How beautiful, how beautiful, how beautiful!, and then says the opposite to others, this I haven’t experienced.  Perhaps there are some cases, but I haven’t noticed any.  Resistance: in the past four months, I haven’t encountered too much …

Father Lombardi:  So now, we pass the microphone to a Brazilian; I think it is only right.  We have Patricia Zorzan, and close by there is also Izoard so we can also hear from the French.

Patricia Zorzan: I’m speaking in the name of the Brazilians.  Society has changed, young people have changed, and in Brazil, we see many youth.  You didn’t speak about abortion, about marriage of persons of the same sex.  In Brazil, there was a law approved which amplifies the rights for abortions, and which permits the marriage of persons of the same sex.  Why did you not speak about these subjects?


Pope Francis: The Church has already perfectly expressed her views on these matters.  It was not necessary for me to return to these subjects, just as I did not speak either about fraud, about falsehood or about other things on which the Church already has clearly defined doctrine.

Patricia Zorzan: But it is a subject that interests many young people.

Pope Francis: Yes, but it was not necessary for me to speak about them, rather about the positive things that open the way for the young.  Is this not true? Besides, young people know exactly what the position of the Church is!

Patricia Zorzan: What is Your Holiness’ position?  We can talk about that.

Pope Francis: My position is that of the Church.  I am a son of the Church.

Father Lombardi: Now, let us return to the Spanish group, to Dario Menor Torres … oh, sorry, Izoard, who I had already called forward, so we have one from the French group and then Dario Menor.

Antoine-Marie Izoard: Good evening Your Holiness.  In the name of all the French-speaking colleagues on board (we are 9 on the flight).  For a Pope who didn’t want to give interviews, we are truly grateful to you.  Since the 13th of March, you have presented yourself as the Bishop of Rome, with great and strong insistence.  But we want to understand the deeper sense of this insistence; is it based in an understanding of collegiality, or in terms of ecumenism, or a sense of primus inter pares (first among equals) in the Church?  Thank you.

Pope Francis: Yes, in this regard, you should not try to infer more than I have said.  The Pope is a bishop, the Bishop of Rome, and because he is the Bishop of Rome, he is also the Successor of Peter, the Vicar of Christ.  There are other titles, but the primary title is Bishop of Rome, and from there, everything else follows.  To speak of, or to think that this title infers a sense of primus inter pares would be incorrect.  One does not follow necessarily from the other.  Simply stated, the Pope’s primary title is Bishop of Rome, but there are all the others as well.  I believe you said something about ecumenism: I believe that this understanding favors (slightly) the process of ecumenism.  But only this …

Father Lombardi:  Now, Dario Menor from La Razón, from Spain.

Dario Menor Torres: A question about your feelings.  A week ago, you commented about how a child asked you how you felt, if it is possible for someone to imagine being Pope, and could even desire to be Pope.  You said that you had to be crazy to want such a thing.  After this first experience among a multitude of people, how were these days in Rio, can you tell us how it feels to be Pope, whether it is very difficult, whether it is easy, and if, in some way it has increased your faith or on the contrary, whether you have had some doubt.  Thank you.

Pope Francis:  It is a beautiful thing to do the work of a bishop, really beautiful.  The problem arises when a person seeks to do the work: this is not so nice, because it is not from and of the Lord.  But when the Lord calls a priest to become a bishop, this is beautiful.  There is always the danger that he might think of himself as a bit superior to others, not like the others, a bit of a prince.  These are dangers, and sins.  But the work of a bishop is beautiful: it involves helping ones brothers to move on, to go ahead.  The bishop leading the faithful, showing the way; the bishop among the faithful, to help build communion; and the bishop backing the faithful, because the faithful may at times already know the way.  The bishop should be like this.  The question asked was whether I liked it?  I am happy to be a bishop, I am happy.  In Buenos Aires, I was so happy, so happy!  I was happy, really.  The Lord helped me in this regard.  But as a priest, I was also happy, and as a bishop I was happy too.  In this sense, I must say that I like it!

Question from the crowd: And to be Pope?

Pope Francis: That too, that too.  When the Lord puts you in that position, if you do what the Lord wants, you are happy.  This is my sentiment, what I feel.

Father Lombardi: And now, another person from among the Italians: Salvatore Mazza from Avvenire.

Salvatore Mazza: I can’t even get up.  I’m sorry.  I can’t even stand up because of all the wires that I have under my feet.  We have seen you full of energy in these days, even on late nights; now we see you on the plane, dancing, that you are standing quietly on your feet, without even a moment’s hesitation.  We want to ask you, is there much talk of upcoming trips.  Is there talk of Asia, or Jerusalem or Argentina?  Do you already have a calendar that is more or less full for the coming year, or is it still to be determined?

Pope Francis: Defined – defined there is nothing, but I can tell you something about what is being considered.  Defined – sorry – September 22nd in Cagliari, then on October 4 in Assisi.  In mind, within Italy, I would like to visit my family one day; go by plane in the morning and come back with another, because they, poor things, they call me and we have a good relationship, but only someday.  Outside of Italy, Patriarch Bartholomew I would like a meeting to commemorate the 50th anniversary of Athenagoras and Paul VI in Jerusalem.  Even the Israeli government has issued a special invitation to go to Jerusalem.  I believe that the government of the Palestinian Authority has done the same.  This makes me think: would it be better to go or not to go? … Then in Latin America I don’t believe that there will be a possibility of returning because the first voyage of the Latin American Pope was to Latin America.  Goodbye.  Now we must wait a bit.  I think there may be a possibility of going to Asia, but that is all up in the air.  I have received an invitation to visit Sri Lanka and also the Philippines.  I must go to Asia.  Why? … because Pope Benedict didn’t have time to go to Asia, and it is important.  He went to Australia and then travelled in Europe and America, but Asia … As for going to Argentina, right now I think you can wait a while because all these travels have a certain priority.  I would like to go to Constantinople on September 30 to pay a visit to Bartholomew I but that isn’t possible, it isn’t possible for my agenda.  If we can, we will meet in Jerusalem.

Question from the crowd: Fatima?

Pope Francis: Fatima, I also have an invitation to visit Fatima.  It’s true.  I have an invitation to go to Fatima.

Question from the crowd: September 30 or November 30?

Pope Francis: November, November.  Saint Andrew.

Father Lombardi: Good, now let’s go on to the United States, and call upon Hada Messia from CNN to ask the question.

Hada Messia: Hello … you are doing better than I.  No, no, no, I’m okay.  My question is: when you met the Argentinian youth, you joked with them, and you were a bit serious too.  You told them that sometimes, you feel trapped.  We wanted to know what you meant by that, exactly …

Pope Francis: Do you know how many times I have wanted to walk the streets of Rome, because I like to do that.  In Buenos Aires, I used to like going up and down the streets.  In this sense, I feel a little bit caged, but I must say that the Vatican Gendarmerie are good.  They are good, good, good, and I am grateful.  Now, let me say a little bit more.  I believe … their duty is to guarantee safety.  I am caged in that sense.  I would love to walk down the street, but I understand that it is not possible.  I understand.  This is the sense in which I said it.  Because my habit was – in Buenos Aires we say – I was a callejero (street) priest.

Father Lombardi:  Now, let us call upon another Brazilian: Marcio Campos, and I ask also Guénois to come forward for the next turn, for the French.

Pope Francis: What time is it?  They have to serve dinner.  Are you hungry?

From the crowd:  No, no.

Marcio Campos: Your Holiness, Holy Father, I want to say that when you feel nostalgic about Brazil, about the Brazilian people, when you are happy, hug the flag that I gave you.  I also want to thank my colleagues from the daily Folha de São Paulo, Estado, Globo and Veja papers, for allowing me to represent them in this question.  Holy Father, it’s difficult to accompany a Pope, very difficult.  We are all tired, you look good and we are all tired.  In Brazil, the Catholic Church has lost a number of its faithful in recent years. The Charismatic Renewal Movement is one possibility for keeping the faithful from attending the Pentecostal church or other Protestant churches.  Thank you very much for your presence, and thank you very much for spending some time with us.


Pope Francis: What you’ve said about the decline in the attendance of the faithful is very true, it is true, it is true.  There are statistics.  We spoke with the Brazilian bishops about the problem, in a meeting we had yesterday.  You were asking about the Charismatic Renewal Movement.  I can tell you one thing.  Over the years, in the late 1970s and early 1980s, I didn’t see them.  Once, while speaking about them, I said these words: They confuse a liturgical celebration with a samba school.  I said this.  I have since repented.  Then, I knew better.  It is also true that the Movement, through the help of good counsellors has done good work.  Now, I believe that this Movement does so much good for the Church in general.  In Buenos Aires, I would often meet with them, and once a year, I celebrated a Mass with all of them in the Cathedral.  I have always favoured them, ever since I too was converted, when I saw the good that they were doing.  Because in this moment in the Church – and here I widen the answer a bit – I think that the movements are needed.  The movements are a grace from the Spirit. But how can you limit a movement that is so free?  The Church too is free.  The Holy Spirit does what he wants, then he does the work of promoting harmony, but I believe that the movements are a grace, those movements that have the spirit of the Church.  This is why I believe that the Charismatic Renewal Movement not only helps to prevent some people from joining the Pentecostal confessions … no, it serves the Church herself!  It renews us!  And everyone tests his or her own movement according to his or her own charism – where the sprit leads.
Question from the crowd:

Pope Francis: I’m tired.

Father Lombardi: So, Guénois from Le Figaro for the French-speaking group.

Jean-Marie Guénois: Holy Father, one question along with my colleague from La Croix also: you said that a Church without women loses fertility.  What specific steps will be necessary? … for example, a female diaconate, or a woman at the head of a dicastery? This is a very small technical question: you said that you are tired.  Do you have any special accommodations for the return flight?  Thank you, Holy Father.

Pope Francis: Let’s start with the last part.  This aircraft doesn’t have special accommodations.  I’m sitting up front in a nice seat, a common seat, an ordinary seat; it is all that I need.  I had a letter written and a phone call made in order to tell the organizers that I didn’t want any special considerations aboard the aircraft: do you understand?  Second, women.  A Church without women is like the Apostles without Mary.  The role of women in the Church is not only that of maternity, the mommy of the family; it is more important than that: women are the icons of the Virgin, of the Madonna; the ones who help the Church to grow!  Consider for a moment, the Madonna is more important than the Apostles!  She is more important!  The Church is feminine: it is Church, it is a spouse, it is a mother.  But women, in the Church, should not only be … I don’t know how you say it in Italian … the role of women in the Church should not only be that of mothers, labourers, limited …. No!  It is something else!  The Popes … Paul VI wrote beautifully on the subject of women, but I believe that we must go further in our explanations of the role and charism of women.  The Church cannot be understood without women, without women who are active in the Church, sharing their talents and gifts, helping the Church to move ahead.  I’m thinking of an example that has nothing to do with the Church, but is a historical example: in Latin America, in Paraguay.  For me, Paraguayan women are the most beautiful in all of Latin America.  You are Paraguayan?  I was there, after the war, eight women for every man, and these women made a difficult choice: the choice to have children to save: their country, their culture, the faith and their language.  In the Church, we should think of women from this perspective: in terms of risky choices, but truly as women.  I need to explain this a bit better.  I believe that we have not yet developed a deep theology of women, or of the Church.  We only think in terms of what they can do … they can do this, or they can do that.  They are the secretaries, they read the Readings at Mass, they are the Presidents of Caritas … but they are more than that!  We need to develop a profound theology of women.  This is what I think.

Father Lombardi: From the Spanish-speaking group, we now have Pablo Ordaz from El Pais.

Pablo Ordaz: We would like to know about your working relationship, or just a friendship and collaboration with Benedict XVI.  Never before has there been such a circumstance.  Do you have frequent contact with him?  Does he help you with your work?  Thank you.

Pope Francis: I believe that the last time there were two Popes, or three Popes, they weren’t talking to one another; they were fighting to see who was the true Pope.  Eventually there were three of them, during the Great Schism.  How should I describe it … what’s my relationship with Benedict XVI like?  I love him very much.  I have always loved him.  For me, he is a man of God, a humble man, a man who prays. I was so happy when he was elected Pope.  Also when he resigned, for me it was an example of greatness, the sign of a great man.  Only a great man would do such a thing.  A man of God and a man of prayer.  Now he lives in the Vatican, and some say to me: but how can this be?  Two Popes in the Vatican!  Doesn’t he hinder you?  Doesn’t he cause people to question you?  In answer to all these things that are said, the response is no!  I’ve found a phrase to describe it: it’s like having my grandfather in the house, a wise grandfather.  When a grandfather lives in the family home, he is venerated, he is loved, people listen to him.  He is a prudent man!  He doesn’t meddle.  I’ve told him many times:  Your Holiness, you receive, live your life, come with us.  He came for the inauguration and the blessing of the statue of Saint Michael.  See, that phrase says it all.  For me, it’s like having a grandfather in the house: my father.  If I had a particular difficulty or something I didn’t understand, I could call him on  the phone: Tell me, I’m thinking of doing this … And when I went to speak with him about the big problems, about the Vatileaks, he told me everything with great simplicity … always serving.  There is one thing that I’m not sure you know about, I think you do, but I’m not sure: when we spoke, during his farewell speech on February 28, he told us … Among you is the next Pope; I promise him obedience.  He is a great man, a great man!

Father Lombardi: So, now we give the microphone to another Brazilian, Anna Ferreira, and we invite also Gian Guido Vecchi on behalf of the Italians.

 Anna Ferreira: Good evening Holy Father.   Thank you.  I want to say thank you very much: thank you for bringing such joy to Brazil, and thank you also for responding to our questions.  We journalists love to ask questions.  I want to know, why you told the Brazilian bishops yesterday about the role of women in our Church.  I want to understand better: what should this participation of us women in the life of the Church look like?  Also, if you would, what do you think of the ordination of women?  What should our position on this question be in the Church?


Pope Francis:  I want to explain a bit about what I said concerning the participation of women in the Church:  we can’t limit this subject to the fact that they are secretaries in our parishes or the President of Caritas, or catechists … No!  There has to be more, profoundly more, even mystically more, according to what I said about the theology of women.  And, on the subject of the ordination of women, the Church has said: No.  John Paul II said so with a definitive formula.  This question is closed, this door, but on this matter, I want to say one thing.  I have already said it, but I’ll repeat.  The Madonna, Mary, was more important than the Apostles, more important than the bishops, than the deacons and the priests.  Women in the Church are more important than bishops and priests; as to how, this is the explanation we must work toward, so that we can better explain it, because I believe that we need a theological explanation for this.  Thank you.

Father Lombardi: Gian Guido Vecchi, from Corriere della Sera, and I would ask Ms. Pigozzi and Nicole to come forward so that they can speak afterward.

Gian Guido Vecchi: Holy Father, you also spoke a few times during this trip about mercy.  Regarding the access to the Sacraments for those who are divorced and remarried, what is the possibility of changing the discipline of the Church?  Can these Sacraments be occasions for drawing these people closer, instead of creating barriers that divide them from other members of the faithful?

Pope Francis: This is a subject that is always raised.  Mercy is greater in these cases, even more than you can imagine.  I believe that this is the time of mercy.  This change of era, with so many problems facing the Church – like the bad witness on the part of some priests, and problems of corruption within the Church, and the problem of clericalism, to site a few examples – have left many wounded, many people wounded.  The Church is our Mother: we should take care of the wounded, by showing them mercy.  If the Lord never tires of forgiving us, we have no other choice than this: first of all, to care for those who are wounded.  And mommy, the Church, should always proceed along the path of mercy … finding and showing mercy for and to everyone.  I think, when the prodigal son returned to the house, the father didn’t say to him: You, listen to me, explain yourself: what did you do with the money? No!  He had a party!  Then, when his son wanted to speak, he spoke.  The Church should do like this.  When there is someone …. We should not only wait for them: we should go out and find them!  This is mercy.  I think that this a kairós (a favorable time): this time is a kairós of mercy.  John Paul II first understood this intuitively when he communicated with Faustina Kowalska, the Divine Mercy … he was on to something, he knew intuitively that mercy was necessary for our time.  With regard to the problem of Communion for persons in second unions – because divorced persons can receive Communion, there is no problem, but when they are in a second union, then they cannot.  I believe that we need to look at this as part of the bigger picture of the pastoral approach to marriage.  This is the problem.  But also – a parenthetical note – the Orthodox have a different practice.  They follow the theology of economy, as they call it, and provide a second possibility, they permit second marriages.  I believe that this problem – close the parentheses – should be studied within the framework of the pastoral approach to marriage.  Two things about this: first, it is one of the themes for consultation with the Council of Eight Cardinals, with those who will be meeting from October 1 to 3, how to approach the pastoral care of marriage, and this problem will come out there.  And a second thing: fifteen days ago, the Secretary of the Synod of Bishops was with me, discussing the theme of the next Synod.  It was an anthropological theme, but we talked and talked, around and around in circles, we finally found this anthropological theme: faith as an aid to the fulfilment of the person, in the family, and continuing toward the pastoral care of marriage.  We are moving toward a deeper understanding of a pastoral approach to marriage.  This is a problem for all of us, because there are so many cases, right?  For example, more than once I’ve heard it said: Cardinal Quarracino, my predecessor, used to say that for him half of the weddings he witnessed were nullified.  Why would he say such a thing?  Because people marry without adequate maturity, they marry without realizing that marriage is for life, or they marry because socially, they have to marry.  And added to this is the question of the pastoral approach to marriage.  There are also juridical problems concerning the nullity of marriage, things we need to revisit, because the Ecclesiastical Tribunals don’t always have the answers.  The problem of a pastoral approach to marriage is complex.  Thank you.

Father Lombardi: Thank you.  now we have Miss Pigozzi who is from Paris Match, and also from the French-speaking group.

Caroline Pigozzi:  Good evening Your Holiness.  I want to know if you, now that you are Pope, still feel that you are Jesuit …

Pope Francis: This is a theological question because Jesuits take a vow of obedience to the Pope, but if the Pope is Jesuit, then he should vow obedience to the Jesuit General … I don’t know how to resolve this … I feel Jesuit in my spirituality; in the spirituality of the Exercises, spirituality, that which I have in my heart.  So much do I feel this way that in three days’ time, I will celebrate with the Jesuits the Feast of Saint Ignatius: I will celebrate Mass in the morning.  I haven’t changed my spirituality, no.  Francis, Franciscan: no.  I am Jesuit and I think of myself as a Jesuit.  Not hypocritically, but I think like a Jesuit.  Thank you.

Father Lombardi: If you still have strength, there are a few more questions.  Now, Nicole Winfield, who is from Associated Press, and then … but was it not … but, I had a list; it’s here, really, I believe that you had organized … Ah, good, Elisabetta, you made a list too, excuse me.

Nicole Winfield: Your Holiness, thank you again for having come among the lions.  Your Holiness, four months into your Pontificate, I would like you to reflect on your experience.  What’s the best thing about being Pope, an anecdote, and what’s the most challenging part, and what surprised you the most during this period?


Pope Francis: I don’t know how to answer that question, really.  Big things, there haven’t been any big things.  Beautiful things, yes; for example, the meeting with the Italian Bishops was so beautiful, so beautiful.  As Bishop of the Capital of Italy, I felt right at home with them.  And this was very good, but I don’t know if it was the best.  My visit to Lampedusa was very painful, it touched my heart. Even though it made me cry, it was good for me. When the boats arrive on the coastline, we know that they have had to leave others behind; they arrive alone.  This causes me pain because I think of the persons who are victims of a world-wide socio-economic system.  But the worst thing – excuse me – that happened to me is a sciatica – really! – I had it during the first couple of months because in order for me to do the interviews, they provided me with a throne and it caused me a bit of pain.  It was a very painful sciatica, truly painful!  I wouldn’t wish it on anyone!  But all those things: speaking with people, meeting with seminarians and religious, were beautiful, they were truly beautiful.  Also the meeting with some of the members of the Jesuit colleges was a beautiful moment, something very good.

Question: What was the most surprising thing?

Pope Francis: The people, the people, the good people that I found.  I discovered so many good people in the Vatican.  I was thinking about what to say, but that is true.  I believe I am justified in saying so: there are so many good people.  So many good people, truly good, good, good!

Father Lombardi: Elisabetta, who you know and also Sergio Rubini, wow – he’s right here, so it’s a meeting of the Argentinians.

Elisabetta Piqué: Pope Francis, first of all, on behalf of the 50 thousand Argentinians who I have met, and who have told me, When you are travelling with the Pope, please tell him that he did a fantastic job, a stupendous job, ask him when we will see him, but he has already said that he will not go … So, ask him a more difficult question.  Ask him if he got scared when he saw the report on Vatileaks.

Pope Francis:  No!  I’ll tell you a story about the Vatileaks report.  When I went to see Pope Benedict, after having prayed in the chapel, we were in his studio and I saw a large box and a fat envelope.  Excuse me.  Benedict said to me, In this large box are all the declarations, the things that the witnesses have said, it’s all there, but the summary and the final judgment is in that envelope.  And here it says …  He knew everything from memory!  What intelligence!  Everything from memory, everything!  No, (words in Spanish) it didn’t scare me, no.  But it’s a big problem, eh?  But it didn’t scare me.

Sergio Rubín:  Your Holiness, two things.  This is the first: You have insisted strongly on the importance of stopping the loss of the faithful.  In Brazil you were very strong on this point.  Is it your hope that this trip might contribute in some way toward inspiring people to return to the Church, that they might feel that they are closer to one another?  And the second, a more personal question: you loved Argentina and also Buenos Aires.  The Argentinians are curious to know if you miss Buenos Aires, where you used to travel in buses, coaches, minivans and on foot in the streets.  Thank you very much.

Pope Francis: I believe that a papal voyage always does some good.  And I believe that for Brazil, this trip will do much good, but not only because of the presence of the Pope, but because of all the good that has been accomplished through the World Youth Day – the people have been mobilized and they will do much good.  Hopefully the Church will help this process in many ways.  But all these faithful who went to Brazil, many of them are not happy because they feel a particular sense of belonging to the Church.  I believe that this will be a positive, not only for the trip, but above all for the World Youth Day: the Day was a marvelous event.  And about Buenos Aires, yes, sometimes I miss it, and I feel sad, but it is a serene sense of loss, I miss it in a serene way.  However, I believe that you, Sergio, know be better than all the others, you can answer this question for yourself.  With the book that you have written!

Father Lombardi: So, now we have a russion and then there is Valentina, who was the leader; she wanted to be last.

Alexey Bukalov: Good evening Your Holiness.  Holy Father, on the subject of ecumenism, today, the Orthodox are celebrating 1,025 years of Christianity; there are grand celebrations in many cities.  If you would make a comment on this fact, I would be happy to welcome it.  Thank you.


Pope Francis: The Orthodox Churches have kept their pristine liturgy, it is so beautiful.  We have pierced a bit of the sense of adoration.  They conserve it, they praise God, they adore God, they sing, time doesn’t matter.  God is at the centre, and this is a treasure which I would like to speak about now that you have posed the question.  Once, speaking of the Oriental church, about Western Europe, above all the most faithfully believing Church, I heard this phrase, Lux ex oriente, ex occidente luxus.  Consumerism and a sense of well-being have caused so much to corrupt.  Instead, you conserve the beauty of being focused, centred on God as a point of reference.  When we read Dostoevskij - I think that everyone should read and re-read his work, because it holds a particular wisdom – we can better understand the Russian soul, the soul of the orient.  It is one of the things that you do so well.  We need this kind of renewal, the fresh Oriental air; we need the light of the Orient.  John Paul II wrote about it in his letter.  Too many times, the luxus of the Orient is lost on the horizon.  I’m not sure if this answers your question, but this is what comes to mind.  Thank you.

Father Lombardi: And now, we conclude with Valentina.  She concluded the question period during the trip to Rio; now she concludes this question period on the flight home.

Valentina Alazraki: Your Holiness, thank you for keeping your promise to answer our questions during this return flight.

Pope Francis: You are making us late for supper.

Valentina Alazraki: That’s not important … My question, on behalf of all the Mexicans would be: when will you go to Guadalupe?  This is the question on the minds of all Mexicans.  Mine would be: you will canonize two great popes: John XXIII and John Paul II.  I want to ask what is – in your opinion – the model of sanctity that can be learned from these two men and what impact have they had on the Church and on you?

Pope Francis: John XXIII is the typical figure of the country priest, the priest who loves every one of the faithful, who knows how to take care of people and he did it also as a bishop and as a Nuncio.  Just think of the number of false testimonies of Baptism he gave in Turkey in favour of the Jews!  He is courageous, a good country priest, with such a wonderful sense of humor, and a great saint.  When he was Nuncio, there were some in the Vatican who didn’t exactly love him, and when he would arrive and try to address questions or other matters, in certain offices they would make him wait.  He never complained: he would pray his Rosary, he would read his Breviary, he would never complain.  He was a mild and humble man, who had a love for the poor.  When Cardinal Casaroli had returned from a mission – I believe it was to Hungary or perhaps the one to Czechoslovakia at the time, I’m not sure which one of the two – he went to report about his mission, in that era of diplomacy in the little countries.  He was granted an audience – 20 days afterward, John XXIII would be dead – and while Casaroli was leaving, they stopped him: Ah, Your Eminence – no, he wasn’t Your Eminence – Your Excellency, a question: do you still go to visit the young boys?  because Casaroli would go to the juvenile penitentiary at Casal del Marmo and play (sports) with the inmates.  Casaroli said, Yes, yes!  I will never abandon them.  These were the words of a diplomat, who had lived the life of diplomacy, such a demanding life; John XXIII said Never abandon the youth.  He is a great man, a great man!  And a man of the Council: he is a man who was always docile to the voice of God, for the entire project of the Council was inspired by the Holy Spirit who invited, and John XXIII was docile in welcoming it.  Pius XII had thought of doing it, but the circumstances were not right.  I believe that John XXIII had not considered the circumstances: he had sensed the need, and he did it.  He was a man who allowed himself to be guided by the Lord.

John Paul II I would call the great missionary of the Church.  He was a missionary, a true missionary, a man who took the Gospel everywhere, you know it better than I do.  How many trips did he make?  He was always on the go!  He sensed the fire of mission and took the Word of God everywhere.  He was another Paul, another Saint Paul, he was that kind of man; for me he is a great man.  To celebrate the canonization ceremony for these two together, I believe will give a message to the Church: these two were good, they are wonderful men, they are two of our heroes.  The cause for sainthood for Paul VI is also in progress and also that of Pope Luciani: these two are in process.  And another thing that I think I’ve already said, but I’m not sure whether I said it here or in another place: the date of the canonization.  We were thinking about December 8 of this year, but there is a big problem; those who will come from Poland, the poor – those who have the means would come by plane, but how many  of the poor would come by bus and already in December the roads will be icy and I think that we should reconsider the date.  I spoke with Cardinal Dziwisz and he has suggested two possibilities: either the Solemnity of Christ the King this year, or Divine Mercy Sunday next year.  I think it’s too soon to hold the Canonization on the Solemnity of Christ the King this year because the Consistory will take place on September 30 and there would be too little time if we were to schedule it for the end of October, but I don’t know.  I have to speak with Cardinal Amato about this, but I think that December 8 won’t work.

Question:  Will they be canonized together?

Pope Francis: Both of them, together, yes.

Father Lombardi: Thank you Your Holiness.  Who else is there?  Ilze? Then you will have done them all, even more than those who had first registered …

Ilze Scamparini:  I would like your permission to ask a rather delicate question: there’s another picture that has made its way around the world, the one of Monsignor Ricca and the news about him.  I would like to know, Holiness, what do you intend to do about this question?  How will you confront this question and how does Your Holiness intend to confront the question of the gay lobbyists?

Pope Francis:  As to Monsignor Ricca: I have done that which the Code of Canon Law mandates, that is a private investigation.  And this investigation has revealed nothing to substantiate the accusations, we found nothing.  This is the response.  But I want to add another thing to this: I see that often in the Church, both in this case and in others like it, we look for the sins of youth, for example, and we publish them.  I’m not talking about crimes, eh?  Crimes are another thing altogether: the abuse of minors is a crime.  No, I’m talking about sins.  If a person, laity or priest or religious sister, has committed a sin and then is converted, the Lord pardons, and when the Lord forgives, the Lord forgets.  This is important for us in this life.  When we go to confession and speak the truthfully: I have sinned, the Lord forgets and we do not have the right to not forget, because we would run the risk of the Lord not forgetting our own sins.  This would be a dangerous position to put ourselves in.  This is important: a theology of sin.  Many times I think of Saint Peter: he committed one of the most serious sins, he denied knowing Christ, and even having done so, he was made Pope.  We should always remember this.  But let’s get back to your question:  in this case, I made a private investigation and we found nothing.  This was the first question.  Then, you were speaking about the gay lobby.  Well.  There is so much written about the gay lobby.  I haven’t yet found anyone who will give me a Vatican identity card with the word gay printed on it.  I don’t believe we have one.  When we find ourselves with a person like that, we should distinguish the fact of being a gay person, from the fact of carrying on a lobby, because not all lobbies are good.  Some are bad.  If a person is gay and seeks the Lord and has good intentions, who am I to judge?  The Catechism of the Catholic Church speaks so beautifully about this.  It says … wait a moment … it says, we should not marginalize these persons for this reason, they should be integrated into society.  The problem is not having this tendency, no, we should all be brothers, because this is one, but if there is another, another.  The problem arises when we lobby for trends: there are many kinds of lobby, motivated by greed, political lobbies, Massonic lobbies, so many lobbies.  For me, this is the biggest problem.  I thank you so very much for asking this question.  Thank you very much!

Father Lombardi:  Thank you.  I think that we can’t do any more.  I think that we’ve taken advantage of the Pope who had already told us that he was tired and we now wish him some time to rest a bit.

Pope Francis:  Thank you all, good night, enjoy the flight and sleep well.

No comments: