Sunday, December 16, 2018

Greetings for the children

At 10:30am this morning in Rome (4:30am EST), in the Paul VI Hall at the Vatican, the Holy Father, Pope Francis received in audience the children from the Santa Marta Paediatric Dispensary located inside Vatican City.


Greetings of the Holy Father, Pope Francis
offered to volunteers, parents and children

Good morning everyone!

I am pleased to be here.  At this time of Christmas I thought that if the Child Jesus was sick, if he had a cold ... what would his mother do?  I am not sure that in Nazareth or in Egypt there was a children's hospital, but surely I trust that if the Madonna was living in Rome she would have brought Jesus to this Dispensary (hospital), I am sure of it.

I thank all of you, who are part of the structure, the life of this Dispensary: the doctors, the team, the nurses ...; and also all those who work with the children, the daddies and the mommies of these children.  Together, you form a body, and in this body there is life.  This life is seen in the spontaneity of the children.  Working with children is not easy, but it teaches us so much. It teaches me one thing: that in order to understand the reality of life, we must lower ourselves, like we have to lower ourselves to kiss a child. They teach us this. The proud, the proud can not understand life, because they can not lower themselves. All of us - professionals, organizers, nuns, all of us - give so much to the children; but they give us this proclamation, this teaching: look down. Stoop down, be humble, and you will learn to understand life and to understand people. All of you have this ability to lower yourself. Thank you so much for this, thank you so much!

I wish you Merry Christmas, a good and holy Christmas, and I thank you with all my heart for all that you are doing, truly.  And also, I hope that you don't get indigestion from eating such a large cake!  Thank you!

No comments: