Tuesday, August 11, 2009

In the strangest places

Adventures can take place at the oddest times, and in the most unexpected places.

I saw evidence of this today as I introduced two visitors to the world of COSTCO Wholesale. Prior to today, neither of them had ever set foot inside the store, and I'm not even sure whether they had seen the outside of many either, since they don't live anywhere near any of them.

The object of our visit was to pick up the prints of pictures taken during yesterday's luncheon, but as too often happens, one enters the emporium and comes out with much more than was originally intended. In this case, I took the ever-present list of 'things needed' off the fridge, and took it with me. By the time I had checked off all the items listed (and of course added a few extra for good luck), the cart was full.

Perhaps more interesting to watch though was the way that my visitors reacted to so much merchandise in one place. Admittedly, it can be a bit intimidating to walk through those doors the first time, and shoppers do have to be wary of prices if they truly want to find the bargains, but for the curious-of-heart this was a veritable mecca. Their sense of wonder brought to life the words of today's gospel passage, and gave me a little glimpse of what it must be like to have the heart of a child.

What a wonderful gift ... and believe it or not, they came out with just ONE item!

No comments: