Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Sensei

A number of years ago, I was invited to sit in on an art class. Now, the thought of doing any type of drawing was (and is still) a bit funny to me since I was always convinced that the best renderings I could ever produce would do well in a stick-man cartoon, but with a bit of effort and lots of concentration, some pretty impressive stuff happened. Of course, the teacher stood behind me and guided my pencil(s), and would be sure to stop me if she thought that I was making major or irreprable errors.

Some years have now passed since I've done any drawing, and although I do wish to return to it, I'm not sure when that will happen. In the meanwhile, hope springs eternal.

In a strange twist of fate, I found myself today with the tables turned. Instead of me sitting at the table and my sensei standing over my shoulder, she was the one sitting at a computer and I was the one coaching her in the finer points of internet surfing. The sense of accomplishment that was evident when she succeeded in making the computer do even the smallest of tasks she intended to accomplish was heartwarming for her and for me.

I couldn't help thinking that she too felt the same way (and still feels that way) when a student discovers the wonders of art, colour and drawing.

No comments: