Sunday, August 2, 2009

Stuffing and folding

I think I was rather young when I first was introduced to the intricacies of Chinese dumplings, and not only eating them, but making them (at least some of them). There are an almost infinite variety of dumplings that are part of a venerable tradition of Chinese cuisine. The fillings can vary from meats to seafood to vegetables and on from there, so every time they are made (and consumed) it's like a whole new adventure.

A few days ago, I mixed up two fillings, one for won tons and the other for pot stickers (which some traditions call gyoza). True, the exact measurements of ingredients and even the variety of ingredients can change, but there's something about the recipes we learn as children, or pick up along the way from other loving and caring sources that stick with us, and often speak to us of comfort and reassurance from time to time.

Folding dumplings can be a time consuming affair, but I find the repetition to be very theraputic and the routine allows for some valuable thinking and praying time.

Before I knew it, almost three hours had gone by. Where once there were tubs of filling and piles of wrappers, the dumplings all stood like soldiers on cookie sheets, ready to be plunged into the freezer ... but not before I subjected just a few tasters to the frying pan.

Ah, the perfect appetizer, an introduction to yet another adventure.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you are teasing us.They sound delicious.