Friday, December 4, 2009

New beginnings

Today was another new beginning.

I stepped foot into Collège Notre-Dame this afternoon to meet with one of the teachers. Our goal was first to meet with some of the staff, and to tour the school, just so I'd have an idea of where things are. Second, our visit was meant to prepare (just a bit) for the students' Lenten-Christmas liturgy.

What an honour ... to be invited to preside at a liturgy with students from a French-language high school ... especially because I'm currently serving in an English-only environment. The staff members made comments about their recognition of energy and enthusiasm on my part. I am inerested to see how this encounter will pan out, but I'm also somewhat aprehensive about how things will roll out. These students are vertually unknown to me, and I am also to them, but this first exercise in breaking the ice is probably a good start.

Two weeks yet remain before our encounter, and the planning is well underway. From what I hear, those involved in the planning process are excited about the possibilities. We'll just have to wait to see what happens when the rubber hits the road.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You'll do fine, I'm sure. And if you need to chat about this project, you DO have a few French friends you can call to pick their brain...

Anonymous said...

Just curious...why would there be any difference between French high school kids and English high school kids? I thought that we are all basically the same...except for the Language?

Anonymous said...

There's no real difference between French and English kids. The intreguing part of this endeavour is that I'm not usually working with French-language situations, so this is a vote of confidence on the part of the teaching staff, and a new horizon (or a return to an old one) which hasn't been experienced for quite a number of years.