Thursday, July 14, 2011

Saint Camillus

Today, the Church proposes the Memorial of Saint Camillus, a relatively unknown saint in these parts.  He was originally from Chieti, located in the Abruzo region of eastern Italy, and was most known for his asceticism (like many other holy people of his time) and for his particular devotion to caring for the sick.


Laudable as this calling is, this was not the reason that I was drawn to this particular saint today.  Rather, as I was reading a bit about his life story, his name twigged in me something from my past.  In fact, my maternal grandmother's name as Camilla Vera.  We always knew her as Vera, but she would always explain that her full name was Camilla.  I don't really know what she thought of that name, nor do I even know whether she was ever aware that her name was derived from this holy man, so devoted to caring for the sick (but then again, she probably knows that now that she's left this earthly life and has learned all the secrets of full knowledge).

I thought of my grandmother again during the celebration of today's Mass, especially as I heard the words of the scriptures proclaimed.  Grandparents are often the ones who pray us through life, so it should come as no surprise that my grandmothers were particularly influential in helping me to discern my call to priesthood.  This prayerful support was particularly evident as I heard the words from the book of Exodus today: words by which God spoke to Moses about the particular role that had been prepared for him.

Lest any of us be daunted by the invitation of our God, Jesus' words in the gospel should bring us particular comfort: Come to me, all you who labour and are burdened ... my yoke is easy and my burden light.  I'd like to think that during his day, Saint Camillus also proclaimed these comforting words to those to whom he ministered.

No comments: