Thursday, July 21, 2011

You were thirsty ...

Went for a walk this afternoon.  The temperature in this part of the world today is showing up at present as 34 degrees celsius, with a humidex of 45, and there's a heat advisory issued for this city.  Now before you think I'm really crazy, let me explain.  I had to complete an errand at the local bank, just a few blocks away, so off I went.

Arriving at the doorway, I overheard the receptionist (her voice is well known to those who frequent that establishment), greeting newcomers who had preceded me.  To each one, she was careful to explain that there was a fountain of raspberry juice available for us, and a cooler filled with bottles of water.

I remember the last time I was in temperatures as severe as these.  We were in Rome for World Youth Day 2000, and the temperatures were in the low 40s.  Everyone around us was handing out bottles of water, and telling us to drink (even if we were not thirsty).  In such severe heat, the human body dehydrates very quickly and before we know it, results in lightheadedness and fainting.  The solution, keep a bottle of water (or a container of liquid of some kind) close to hand, and keep drinking ... even if you don't feel thirsty.

When I left the bank a few minutes later, I grabbed a bottle, and waved with gratitude for their attention to customers.  I would hope that we ourselves would all do the same.

No comments: