Sunday, May 6, 2018

Regina Coeli for VI Easter

At noon today local time (6:00am EDT), the Holy Father, Pope Francis appeared at the window of his study in the Vatican Apostolic Palace to recite the Regina Coeli with the faithful and with pilgrims gathered in Saint Peter's Square.


Greetings of the Holy Father, Pope Francis
prior to the recitation of the Regina Coeli

Dear brothers and sisters, good morning!

During this Easter season, the Word of God continues to show us how we can live our lives in order to truly be a community of the Risen Lord.  Among these lessons, today's gospel presents Jesus' advice: Remain in my love (Jn 15:9): remain in the love of Jesus.  Dwell in the stream of God's love so that you can take up permanent residence there; this is a condition that helps us to be sure that our love does not lose its ardour and its audacity.  Just as Jesus is in the Father, we too should gratefully welcome the love that comes from the Father and remain in this love, never wanting to be separated from him through egotism or sin.  This is demanding but not impossible.

First of all, it is important for us to be aware of the fact that the love of Christ is not a superficial sentiment, no, it is a fundamental attitude of heart, which is manifested in living as He wants us to live.  In fact, Jesus affirms:  If you keep my commandments, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and remained in his love (Jn 15:10).  Love is achieved in everyday life, in attitudes, in actions; otherwise it remains just something that is illusory.  Otherwise, everything we say is words, words, words: but there is no love.  Love is concrete, every day.  Jesus asks us to observe his commandments, and all of them can be summed up in this one: that you love one another as I have loved you (Jn 15:12).

How can we be sure that the love that is given to us by the risen Lord is shared with others?  Many times, Jesus pointed out who the other person was, the one who should be loved, not in words but in deeds.  That person is the one that I meet along the street and who, with his face and his own story, challenges me; the person who, through her own presence, motivates me to go beyond my own interests and my own comfort zone; the one who is waiting for me to be available so that I can listen and walk a few steps of the journey with him or her.  Availability to welcome every brother and sisters, whoever that person should be and whatever situation he or she may be facing, beginning with those who are close to me, part of my family, in my community, at my workplace, in school ... In this way, if I remain united to Jesus, his love can reach others and draw them to himself, to his friendship.

And this love for others cannot be reserved for exceptional moments, but should constantly become part of our existence.  This is why we are called, for example, to care for the elderly as a precious treasure and with great love, even if to do so may create economic challenges and hardships, but we must do so.  This is why those who are sick, even if they are in the final stages of their illness, must receive whatever help they need.  This is why unborn children should always be welcomed; this is why, ultimately, life should always be protected and loved from the moment of conception to its natural end.  This is love.

We are loved by God in Jesus Christ, who asks us to love as He loves us.  But we cannot do this if we don't have within us his own heart.  The Eucharist in which we are called to participate every Sunday, builds within us the heart of Christ, so that our entire lives may be guided by his attitude of generosity.  May the Virgin Mary help us to remain in the love of Jesus and to grow in love for all people, especially those who are weak, in full conformity with our Christian vocation.



Following the recitation of the Regina Coeli, the Holy Father continued:

Dear brothers and sisters,

Yesterday in Aquisgrana (Germany), Claire Fey, the founder of the Sisters of the Poor Child Jesus, who lived in the second half of the nineteenth century was proclaimed Blessed.  Let us give thanks to God for this zealous witness to the gospel, a thoughtful educator of disadvantaged youth.

I invite you to pray for the people of the Central African Republic, a country which I had the joy of visiting and which I carry in my heart, which in recent days has experienced serious violence that has left many dead and others wounded, including one priest.  May the Lord, through the intercession of the Virgin Mary, help all people to say no to violence and to vengeance, so that together we can create peace.

I greet all of you, Romans and pilgrims, especially those who have come from Oviedo (Spain), the students from VrbovĂ© (Slovakia) and the altar boys from Bern.  I offer a special greeting to the new Swiss Guards, to their families and friends, on the feast day of this historic and worthy Corps.  Let us applaud them!

I greet the representatives from the Meter Association, who I encourage to continue in your commitment to help children who are victims of violence; as well as the faithful from Piacenza and Borgoricco and the gymnastic athletes from Castelfranco Emilia.

I have also heard some songs being sung by members of the Neocatechumenal Way ... There they are!  Thank you for your work of evangelization.  You are everywhere, thank you!

I also greet all the prisoners from the prison in Latina who are at this very moment spiritually united with us

I wish you all a good Sunday.  And please, don't forget to pray for me.  Enjoy your lunch and good bye!

No comments: