Thursday, January 28, 2010

A moment

In the midst of otherwise frantic week, an oasis appeared today, and none too soon.

It came in the form of a phone call asking whether I could come to the local hospice to visit with a family. The journey to the hospice was anything but peaceful though. I was conscious of the 'rules of the road' and followed them too (lest anyone might fear that I have an inordinate desire to become best friends with the boys in blue), but my mind was in so many other places that at least once and perhaps thrice I found myself almost missing a turn or needing to re-direct in order to reach my destination.

Finally arrived at the correct coordinates, I knew that I needed a moment myself if I was to be of any assistance to the one for whom I had been summoned. I often wonder whether things happen by chance or by design, but in this case, I think I'd rather choose the latter for I had scarcely found my way in the door and along the corridor which would ultimately lead me to my destination before I met a familiar face.

She invited me to sit for a moment so that she could share some particulars of the case, and this gave me an opportunity to perceive the display of orchids that were nestled in one corner of the room. Plants and I tend to get along well; they actually are quite calming and so I welcomed the opportunity to 'check them out'. They were healthy but in need of some minor maintenance, so with the proper permissions established, I took the liberty of caring for them. The effect was seen almost instantly as my soul rejoiced and I was therefore able to re-focus in preparation for the task at hand.

The magic of a hospice is that it's an oasis in the midst of an otherwise wildly moving stream, a place where the dying can come to terms with the reality of life, and where those who must stand by and watch during some of the most stress-filled moments can find a place to be at peace, even just for a moment at a time. It's one of the rare places that pays particular attention to caring for the soul ... especially when it's most needed.

As providence would have it, I received a rather interesting article today about the sad reality that more and more people are finding that there are less and less priests to be present in times of crisis. We all need places and moments to find peace, especially when we're most distracted or scattered.

Refreshed and renewed, we can then jump back into the stream that takes us on life's next adventure.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Father Tony,

Your heart is big, very big.
Your insightfulness astounds me and your sensitivity towards everyone, even to plants is so endearing.
But when you find yourself driving around and making the wrong turns, you have too much going on in your life. I've been there and done that.

I feel one day off a week - for priests- is not enough. And to find a balance when one has such a loving heart, is truly a challenge... but you got to do it.
Make time for yourself - just to be....

I know you love writing, and you have an audience out there that finds everything you share so interesting, uplifting and mentoring.
But again, we love you the most- and not what we can get out of you.

Winston Churchill said something interesting about writing:

Writing is an adventure.
To begin with, it is a toy and an amusement.
Then it becomes a mistress,
then it becomes a master,
then it becomes a tyrant.