Friday, February 12, 2016

A pilgrim leaves for Mexico

This morning, Pope Francis' 12th international Apostolic Voyage began.  It will take him to Mexico and also allow him to make a stop in La Habana (Cuba) for a meeting - which was announced on February 5 of this year - with His Holiness, Kirill, Patriarch of Moscow and of all Russia.

The Pope arrived at Rome's Fumicino international airport shortly after 7:30am today.  The aircraft carrying the Holy Father (an Alitalia A330) took off at 8:24am.

Arrival at the José Martí international airport in La Habana is expected at 2:00pm local time, following a flight of 12 hours in duration.


Telegram of the Holy Father, Pope Francis
addressed to the President of the Italian Republic

At the moment of leaving Italian airspace en route for La Habana (Cuba), the Holy Father, Pope Francis sent the following message to the President of the Italian Republic, the Honourable Sergio Mattarella:

To His Excellency
The Honourable Sergio Mattarella
President of the Italian Republic
Palazzo del Quirinale - 00187 Rome

At the moment when I leave Rome on my way to Mexico to support the mission of the local Church and to share a message of hope, I am pleased to extend to you, Mister President, my respectful greeting, which is accompanied with fervent wishes for the spiritual, civil and social good of the Italian people, upon whom I willingly impart the Apostolic Blessing.

Francis


During the flight to Mexico, which includes a stop in La Habana (Cuba), while passing over the countries of France, Spain and Portugal, the Holy Father sent messages to the Heads of State of each of those countries.

Passing over France:
His Excellency, François Hollande
President of the French Republic
Paris

I send cordial greetings to Your Excellency as I fly over France on my way to Mexico.  I assure you and all the citizens of the Republic of a remembrance in my prayers, and I invoke upon each of you God's blessings of peace and joy.

Francis

Passing over Spain
His Majesty, Felipe VI
King of Spain
Zarzuela Palace
Madrid

I send cordial greetings to Your Majesty and the Royal Family as I fly over Spain on my way to Mexico.  I assure you and all the people of the nation of a remembrance in my prayers, and I invoke upon each of you God's blessings of peace and joy.

Francis

Passing over Portugal
His Excellency, Anibal Cavaco Silva
President of the Portuguese Republic
Lisbon

I send cordial greetings to Your Excellency as I fly over Portugal on my way to Mexico.  I assure you and all the people of the nation of a remembrance in my prayers, and I invoke upon each of you God's blessings of peace and joy.

Francis

No comments: