Thursday, February 18, 2016

On the way home

During the flight which began last night in Juárez City and en route to Rome, as it passed over the territory of the United States of America, Portugal, Spain and finally re-entered Italian airspace, the Holy Father sent telegrams to each of those countries' respective Heads of State.


Telegrams sent by His Holiness, Pope Francis
to Heads of State en route to Rome

Passing over the United States of America
The Honorable Barack H. Obama
President of the United States of America
Washington

I extend cordial greetings to you as I fly over the country on my way home from Mexico.  Renewing the assurance of my prayers for you and all the people of the United States, I invoke upon you abundant divine blessings.

Francis

Passing over Portugal
His Excellency, Anibal Cavaco Silva
President of the Portuguese Republic
Lisbon

I send cordial greetings to Your Excellency as I fly over Portugal on my way back from Mexico.  I assure you and all the people of the nation of a remembrance in my prayers, and I invoke upon each of you God's blessings of peace and joy.

Francis

Passing over Spain
His Majesty, Felipe VI
King of Spain
Zarzuela Palace
Madrid

I send cordial greetings to Your Majesty and the Royal Family as I fly over Spain on my way back from Mexico.  I assure you and all the people of the nation of a remembrance in my prayers, and I invoke upon each of you God's blessings of peace and joy.

Francis

Re-entering into Italy
His Excellency, the Honorable Sergio Mattarella
President of the Italian Republic
Palazzo del Quirinale
00187 Rome

Upon my return from the Apostolic voyage in Mexico, where I was able to meet numerous faithful and representatives of those dear people, admiring their faith and their desire for spiritual and social growth, I express to you, Mister President, my cordial greetings and assure you of a special prayer for the well being, the serenity and the prosperity of the beloved Italian nation, to which I also add my affectionate blessing.

Francis


The aircraft carrying the Holy Father home from the Apostolic voyage in Mexico, including a stop in La Habana (Cuba) for a meeting with His Holiness, Kirill, Patriarch of Moscow and of all Russia, landed at Rome's Ciampino airport around 3:00pm, following a 12-hour flight.

Before returning to the Vatican, the Pope stopped, as he normally does, at the Basilica of Saint Mary Major to thank the Salus Populi romani for the successful outcome of the Apostolic journey.

No comments: