Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Rome to Panama City

This morning, the Holy Father, Pope Francis began his 26th International Voyage which will take him to Panama on the occasion of the XXXIV World Youth Day which is taking place there from 23 to 28 January.  The theme of this year's WYD celebration is Behold the handmaid of the Lord: be it done unto me according to your will (Lk 1:38).

Before leaving the Casa Santa Marta, the Holy Father, Pope Francis met with a group of 8 young refugees from various countries.  The refugees have been welcomed at the Pedro Arrupe Centre in Rome

The aircraft carrying the Holy Father (an Alitalia A330) departed from Rome's Fumicino International airport at 9:51am local time (3:51am EST).  The scheduled arrival at Panama's Tocumen International Airport is 4:30pm local time (EST).


At the moment when he departed from Italian airspace, the Holy Father, Pope Francis sent the following message by telegram to the President of the Italian Republic, the Honourable Sergio Mattarella:

To His Excellency
The Honourable Sergio Mattarella
President of the Italian Republic
Palazzo del Quirinale

At the moment in which I am preparing to leave for Panama on the occasion of the World Youth Day, enlivened by a living desire to meet with young people from all corners of the world in a sign of faith and hope, I am pleased to send you, Mister President, and all Italians, my affectionate and cordial greeting which is accompanied by my fervent wishes for serenity and concord, committed to the common good.

Francis

During the flight to Panama, while flying over France, Spain, Portugal, Santa Maria (Portuguese Azzores), the United States of America, Porto Rico, the Dominican Republic, the Dutch Antilles and Colombia, the Holy Father, Pope Francis sent greetings to the respective Heads of State.

Flying over France
His Excellency, Emmanuel Macron
President of the French Republic
Paris

As I fly over France on my way to Panama for my Apostolic visit, I send cordial greetings to Your Excellency and your fellow citizens.  I pray that Almighty God may grant you all peace and strength and I invoke divine blessings upon the nation.

Francis

Flying over Spain
His Majesty, Felipe VI
King of Spain
Madrid

I extend cordial greetings to Your Majesty, the members of the Royal Family, and the people of Spain as I fly over your country on my way to Panama for my Apostolic visit.  Invoking the blessings of Almighty God upon the nation, I pray that He may grant all of you peace and well-being.

Francis

Flying over Portugal and Santa Maria (Portuguese Azzorres)
His Excellency, Marcello Rebelo de Sousa
President of the Portuguese Republic
Lisbon

I offer best wishes and the assurance of my prayers as my Apostolic visit to Panama takes me through Portuguese airspace.  Entrusting the nation to the care of Almighty God, I willingly invoke upon the people of Portugal the blessings of joy and peace.

Francis

Flying over the United States of America and Porto Rico
The Honourable Donald J. Trump
President of the United States of America
Washington

As I fly through the airspace of the United States on my way to Panama, I send cordial greetings to you and to your fellow citizens.  Invoking the blessings of Almighty God upon you all, I pray that peace and well-being may flourish in the nation.

Francis

Flying over the Dominican Republic
His Excellency, Danilo Medina Sánchez
President of the Dominican Republic
Santo Domingo

As I travel over the Dominican Republic on my Apostolic visit to Panama, I offer best wishes to Your Excellency and your fellow citizens, with the assurance of my prayers for the peace and prosperity of the nation.

Francis

Flying over the Dutch Antilles
His Majesty, Willem-Alexander
King of the Netherlands

As I fly over the Dutch Caribbean on my Apostolic visit to Panama, I extend warm greetings to the citizens of the Kingdom of the Netherlands, praying that Almighty God may bless you all.

Francis

Flying over Colombia
His Excellency, Iván Duque Márquez
President of the Republic of Colombia
Bogotá

As I fly over Colombia on my Apostolic visit to Panama, I extend to you and the people of the nation my warm greetings.  Upon all of you, I invoke the divine blessings of peace and strength.

Francis


Upon his arrival at the Tocumen International Airport in Panama, the Holy Father, Pope Francis was welcomed by the President of the Republic, Mister Juan Carlos Varela Rodriíguez and his wife.  Two children, dressed in traditional clothing, presented floral tributes to the Pope.

Following the playing of the national anthems and the introduction of the respective delegations, the Pope greeted the Bishops of Panama who were present as well as a representative group of approximately 2,000 faithful while a number of folkloric dances were performed.  His Holiness then travelled by car to the Apostolic Nunciature in Panama.

Outside the Nunciature, the Holy Father was welcomed by a group of young people and was received at the entrance to the Residence by the religious and lay staff of that Pontifical Representation.

No comments: