Thursday, July 22, 2010

How long does it take?

The trip to the cottage usually takes about three hours, no matter which of the two routes I take.  So it was that the trip there took just a bit more than 180 minutes, but this was not to be so for the trip back home.

On Tuesday morning, I began the voyage with plenty of time to spare, that is until I reached about the half-way point, just north of the little village of Nobel.  This is a familiar stop for travellers along Highway 69.  I even managed to follow the speed limit signs .. until I had just passed through the town.  Even before the next hamelt of Carling, all the traffic was being re-routed by the Provincial Police.

I didn't know it at the time, but apparently there had been a major accident earlier that morning, involving a head-on collision between two transport trucks (which are more recently referred to as tractor trailers, although this partcular nomenclature conjures images for me of certain farm implements).  The detour added almost another hour to the trip, but I did indeed get to my intended destination without any further delay, and for this I am thankful.

Apparently the investigation on site lasted most of the day.  One of the drivers ended up in hospital with 'non-life threatening injuries' but the other driver wasn't so lucky.  I can just imagine what his (or her) family must have said when they found out.

No comments: